Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Permetex Gasket - Method That Worked for Me

Options
edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a new Peremetx Ultra Copper gasket on this weekend. First I tried using the jig method that works well for others. It didn't go so well for me.

Here's what I did for my mini. I laid a fairly thick bead of the Permetex all the way around the rim. Then I covered it with strips of Saran Wrap. After that I gently lowered the dome ontop of the base (bands were off). After letting it sit for a couple of hours, I took the dome off and kept the Saran Wrap on. The next day I peeled off the Saran Wrap and I had a perfect seal. I then trimmed off the overhang with a quick swipe of a razor blade around the edge.

I'm not sure if this would work with the heavier weight of a large but it was perfect for my mini.

Comments

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 383
    Options
    I did mine last Friday using the jig method, it came out good but I could do better. I'm thinking of forming them in a mold first, then applying them.
  • certified_prime
    Options
    I did the same, only I used wax paper instead of the plastic wrap. Worked great for me. Only drawback was when I tried running a probe wire from a brisket to the remote thermometer...the gasket was too thin and I had a gap that puffed smoke all around the dome. I feel one of the fabric / fiberglass gaskets would work better in continuing the seal.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Thanks Edbro, I'm going to be doing this soon but was wondering if Permatex would melt Saran Wrap, now I don't have to wonder.
    I'm planning on leaving the rings attached to the ceramic, and just use a wooden spacer near the handle to maintain the gap (then fill it in later).
    Thanks again!

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month