Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about finishing my table

Options
BarManBean
BarManBean Posts: 129
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I am just finishing up a build using pressure treated lumber. Do I still need to put urethane on this table, or will the wood be okay? Some of the wood is still wet from the treatment--if I do put urethane on it should I wait a bit for the wood to dry out?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• purcellj
    purcellj Posts: 44
    Options
    PT is not indestructible. So yes it will need a sealer. Most of the stuff at the big box stores is pretty wet so I would let it dry a bit. You might put 1 coat on in the near future was it's dry and another 1 or 2 coats towards the end of the summer. A lot will depend on your environment (heat and humidity).
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Let it dry throughly be fore you put anything on it, then I would use a marine grade spar varnish :)
  • kywaterfowler
    Options
    About how long does it take to dry out?
    Mt. Washington, KY
    Large Egg
    iGrill2
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    That depends on the humidity in your area and how wet the material was in the beginning, but I will say no less than 30 days, could be more. Try to place it somewhere it can get some air circulation or put a fan on it. Do not put it in the direct sun for very long, that will just make it dry unevenly and warp.