Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Should I leave the bark on pecan wood?

crmiltcrmilt Posts: 108
edited 1:49AM in EggHead Forum
A friend gave me some great pecan wood pieces. The wood still has the bark on it. Should I remove the bark before using it? If so, how? It looks like it will be a lot of trouble to remove the bark.
__________ Chris

Comments

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    6ef732c9.jpg

The tool I use for making splits out of chunks is a construction hatchet. It has a waffled hammer head on the other end, and I just give the bark a smack. Most of it will peel right off by hand. I'm sure a claw hammer will work just fine.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • B&BKnoxB&BKnox Posts: 281
    Don't use it bark is very bad, send it to me and I'll take care of it :evil: :laugh:

you lucky dog
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Leave it on :) :)
  • KokemanKokeman Posts: 816
    I've used pecan, oak, hickory, apple, cherry, peach, plum, sasafras, and malberry and have never removed the bark