Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Harvested my garlic for the year

ArvadaMan
ArvadaMan Posts: 260
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Independence Day!

Columbus Day means garlic planting time.....

Indepenence Day means garlic harvesting time!

I can't wait to get going on using the new crop on the egg!

Here is a pic from the phone showing this year's crop.

Garlic2.jpg

Comments

• I have always waited until the tops were all brown before harvesting my garlic. Is there really that little difference in the last month or two?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I will be planting my first crop of garlic this fall. Pretty excited about that.
    Are you going the the Denver fest?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Lookin good! I haven't even gone out and looked at mine in a long time. With all the cold weather and rain we've had this year, I can't believe it's ready to harvest. I should go weed though...
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Nice! we are still enjoying scapes here and it will be another 3-4 weeks before we harvest. we are just starting to brown on the tips of the top two leaves. 358 cloves planted and 358 came up LOL
  • ArvadaMan
    I am planning on being in Denver.

I am a bit rusty due to a hectic schedule. I better get busy if I plan on bringing anything new this year.
  • ArvadaMan
    I have always dug mine up after the bottom 3 or 4 leaves have turned brown which is around July 4th for me here.

I bundle them up and hang them in a cool, dry place until I need a head for cooking.

I do not know if there is a serious difference between letting them go all brown or digging them up earlier.
  • ArvadaMan
    I think I am going to try the "melting garlic" recipe from Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. I got the book a week ago and my daughters are crazy about garlic bread.

Sounds like a good recipe to start with.