Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Patience Young Grasshopper

Options
RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While poking around the rental cottage, I found a broil mate gasser.

I seem to recall an Uncle that had one of those when I was little and it looked old then. I can't imagine how old this one is. The tank is new, the cooking surface is about the size of two mini's put together, the grill is relatively clean and there's no thermometer.

There are fire restrictions up here so it's either cook on the gasser or warm up the house with the oven.

Hmm...Toss the chicken thighs on the grill right away.

Now, pre-BGE, I would have thrown a hunk of meat on the grill at the highest possible temp for the shortest period of time. And it would have been BEEF as real men don't eat chicken unless they're chicken wings accompanied by pitchers of beer served by women in short pants and tight t'shirts.

But I digress, post BGE, I have learned to be a patient young grasshopper. Lowering the temps so that the flames barely kiss the chicken until it reaches the perfect internal temp without burning. Of course with no thermometer or thermapen, there was some looking an touching. But in the end - the chicken thighs were great.

For this patience, I must thank BGE.

Happy Independance Day!

Michael

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Excellent! I can only imagine what I would have done - heating up the house wouldn't happen. The BGE is amazing. Happy 4th to you! :)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    You're so right Michael. Pre BGE I never really cooked inside and lived with an old gasser for many years with useless therm and hot/cold spots all over the place. Now, even without BGE, I think my cooks are passable, thanks to all the learning on this forum.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I admit I love my egged thighs.

000_2540.jpg

These are dark but, they had a lot of brown sugar in the rub.

018.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Where you at boy? I can be there in a couple of hours ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RGBHV
    Options
    Exactly...

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Options
    In collingwood... I'm surprised you're not here by now.

It's been nice being forced to cook on a really old gasser. I really appreciate cooking on the BGE.

Everything I've learned about cooking on a BGE is coming in handy. (cooking by temp, not by time, being patient, using lower temps instead of nuking everything, etc.)

Of course all this patience could just be because I'm on vacation and I'm not in a rush to get anything done.

On Sunday, I met the local butcher, a local BGE dealer, and I found an apple wood source.

This has been a great vacation so far.

Michael
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    RGBHV wrote:
    ...real men don't eat chicken unless they're chicken wings accompanied by pitchers of beer served by women in short pants and tight t'shirts.
    I love my Eggs, really I do, but; ah, the memories...
    Where's my car keys? ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RGBHV
    Options
    I knew I wasn't the only one!

LOL.

Michael