Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to learn about BGE

Sikes
Sikes Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering buying a BGE and I have heard they are really good, but I am an elderly woman and two questions I have that I could not find on the website is: Are they easy to clean? And how do you clean out the charcoal ashes? Thanks

Comments

• Vegas Eggus
    Vegas Eggus Posts: 152
    The ashes are removed with a L shaped tool through the lower vent door. Did mine today and its very easy and with the lump charcoal not needed very often.
    As far as cleaning I assume you mean the grate. I think most just get it good and hot and hit it with a wire brush. I rub mine down with wadded up newspaper as well to pick up any residual oils.
    Since you mention that you are elderly I'd make sure I went and looked at one in person. The lid on my large is heavier than you might expect. Sure you and handle it but you might want to make sure its something you are wanting to deal with on a regular basis.
  • Sikes
    Hi Vegas Eggus,
    Thank you so much for the info and the advice. I found one local store that I will go to see if they have any available on site.
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    I am a 57 yo female and I had a heck of a time putting the BGE together myself. So, ask if it comes assembled.

The directions were not real clear and I didn't know the names of bolts, washers, nuts, etc. I had to run to Home depot and get the correct extension for my wrench.

Oh, and putting the nest together wasn't easy either.

But, after all of that I am very happy with the BGE. I read here and learn. It is a little hard at first, but if you can get some help, the grill is well worth it.
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    Vegas Eggus wrote:
    As far as cleaning I assume you mean the grate. I think most just get it good and hot and hit it with a wire brush. I rub mine down with wadded up newspaper as well to pick up any residual oils.

Wow, you clean your grate! I basically just knock off any big pieces with the same L-shaped thing. :blink:

Seriously though, I love the BGE. It is cumbersome depending on the size you get so you would want to look at one in person. And by all means, make sure they deliver it and set it up for you!

I would also ask that they put on a high-temp gasket as a condition to the sale. If you don't, you will be replacing the gasket yourself which, though not really hard, is not simple either.

Hope that helps!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Wink and smile.They will assemble it and give you a demo.It is not easy to clean.
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    All advice so far seems good. Also, where are you located? I'm sure some of the members here would be willing to help you assemble/move an egg if you needed that type of assistance. I will say that one of the reasons I bought a BGE is this forum and the general amount of high support provided for Eggheads. It really gives me peace of mind with my decision to buy and my continued experience with cooking. People here are EXTREMELY helpful and quick to respond to any questions / needs.

I think the general consensus is that you should buy your egg ASAP because once you do you will catch yourself asking why you didn't buy sooner. I don't think that this is true for EVERYONE, but I think it's pretty accurate for most.

I think it's also important to realize that an Egg costs no more than a decent gas grill, and really takes no longer to light / heat up for grilling. To top it off, you shouldn't ever have to replace parts of your egg on a regular basis. BIG PLUS! The only "downside" is that you have to load it with lump. I say "downside" because I think that keeping propane on hand and ready is more difficult than keeping lump available. I went to a cookout tonight where the host ran out of propane during the cook...this was because he didn't know he was running low...common problem with propane tanks. I have 40 lbs of lump in the basement and am well aware of that! It's easy to tell when the product is in weighted bags instead of a tank attached to the grill.

Anywho, I'm rambling. Good luck with your decision, and I think that if you choose an Egg you will not regret it and you will have TONS of support through the forums here.
  • eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    You might also want to consider the size of the egg you purchase if the weight of the lid is a problem. Maybe a small or medium would be right for you.
  • Sikes
    I just want to thank everyone for all their support!
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    first,,,never, never say elderly..... say mature or seasoned..... you have gotten good advice...if you are cooking for one or two... a small will fit your needs..

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• cougar_bbq
    cougar_bbq Posts: 14
    Pull the trigger and buy sooner than later. Two caveats, look before you buy and negotiate the price. Happy Egging
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Have you considered going to an Eggfest to look around and talk to the cooks? I've only been to one and the average age was North of forty. I have a medium egg and it suits my needs.