Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Which is it?

FireInst12FireInst12 Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New EGGhead here. I'm trying to grasp temperature control. I put on a Boston Butt last night around 2200 and it is 1500 hours local. Butt is now 185. Now you have the history.

My concern was that my fire was going to go out over night. If it did, somehow spontaneous combustion worked and life is good.

So my question is: Which of the draft control mechanisms has the greatest impact on temperature swings?
"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience!"
·

Comments

• Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    The one with the biggest opening.
    ·
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Oxygen goes in on the bottom and out on the top. The lower vent has the greatest control over your temperature. The top has the least amount but is used to make fine adjustments.
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,277
    my butts on average take 13 hours, t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,277
    my butts on average take 13 hours, t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,360
    I never saw a "topless" Egg, but a few years back, folks said earlier Eggs had no DFMT "daisywheel." All control was done at the bottom vent. I did see some of the 3rd party tops that were available then to get even finer control. On phrase some people used was "The bottom for 10s of degrees, the top for 1s."
    ·
  • Austex_EggerAustex_Egger Posts: 153
    For us new guys, having some sort of reference is invaluble. I've found this link helpful.
    ·
  • YBYB Posts: 3,861
    I am doing mine in 10 (9# ones) hours Tom and they turn out great.

Larry
    ·