Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dryed out Brisket - Any Advice?

ScootersGrillingScootersGrilling Posts: 7
edited 9:57AM in EggHead Forum
All,

Put a 8.5lb flat brisket on my large BGE last night at 11am. Dome temp was 250 when I went to sleep and at six am when I awoke it had crept up to 300 degrees (yikes)! I checked internal temp of the brisket and it was at 207 degrees. Pulled immediately and am now stuck with a 8lb. piece of mostly dry brisket (the lower half of the cut where the fat cap is still has some moisture in it. I was expecting the cook to take at least 10 hours and it only took 7. Next time I'll set the alarm for 2:00am just to check on dome temp, as I have a feeling if I'd left dome at 250, I'd still be okay and would have moist brisket to serve my 4th of July guests.

So, here's the question: since it's not completely dried out, would it makes sense to foil the brisket, add some apple juice to the foil and then throw it in a cooler for a few hours? Would this somehow add moisture back into the brisket? Or, should I just cut up the brisket and slather it in BBQ sauce?

Scooter
·

Comments

• Put it in a roasting pan and pour beef broth over it and put in the oven at 200-225.
    ·
  • Thanks for the quick reply. My 4th of July guests will thank you.
    ·
  • BobinFlaBobinFla Posts: 361
    If you saved any of the au jus or the drippings, add thqt back in with the beef broth.

BOB
    ·
  • Rafter RRafter R Posts: 120
    use it for the meat in your chili. mmm mmm good
    ·
  • TennisbumTennisbum Posts: 228
    You can also just slice it and just before serving, put on a plate with a couple T of water... nuke it for about a minute. This will help put moisture back into the meat...
    I just did one and it was also dry so now I nuke each time before the meal...
    good luck and
    Happy 4th
    gp
    ·
  • TennisbumTennisbum Posts: 228
    Sorry forgot to tell you to cover with paper towel while in microwave...
    this holds in the steam

gp
    ·
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I would do juice and/or low sodium beef broth....maybe a touch of bbq sauce mixed in.
    ·