Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How long does your EGG stay hot?

dsmithdsmith Posts: 147
edited 6:22PM in EggHead Forum
I shut down my egg with the ceramic top around 6:30 this morning. At the time I was at about 260F after an all-night cook. It is now 10:15 and dome temp is still reading about 190F. Mind you, the egg had the plate setter in and the XL rig with two metal drip pans. Also, it is sitting in the sun and it is already pushing 90F outside.

I don't see any leak and there was no smoke leak from the gasket when I cook. I've noticed I stay hot for a long time and always assumed that was one of the beauties of the BGE's ceramic nature. I always have plenty of lump to reuse so I think all this is normal but I thought I would ask. I've only been Egging since last December so this is my first summer and not sure what really to expect.

Comments

• CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,766
    Yep, you're normal
  • outrageousoutrageous Posts: 539
    had that question asked at a eggfest....my answer was i do not know... i told them, when i finish cooking i shut the vents and go eat... never check on it.. but your sounds normal to me..
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,766
    They only way to cool it down quickly is to remove the coals and place them in a metal bucket. USING PROTECTIVE GLOVES, take the firebox and ring out and let the egg cool while wide open. You can cool it enough to lead it in a car in less than an hour.
  • dsmithdsmith Posts: 147
    Nah. I have not reason to cool it. I was simply curious. Y'all have a great 4th!