Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

To Eat or Not to Eat

SmokinParrotHeadSmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited 1:17AM in EggHead Forum
At last check, 3:30 am, the Egg was at 250 and the butts were at 152. Now this morning at 8:00 a.m. the egg is at 189 and the butts are at 162.

A little concerned that it may be dived in temp right after last check and may have sat at around 190ish dome for the last 3-4 hours.

Pork is still just fine though, right? I opened the vents and wiggle rodded it to get it going again, but this time around I'm cooking for literally the entire family, including my pregnant wife......so no chances being taken.

I'm quite certain it's ok.....just need to hear it from someone else.

I mean, after all, it can sit in a 160ish plateau for hours, right?
·

Comments

• BasscatBasscat Posts: 666
    Danger zone is 40-140, so you are fine. Crank it up to 300 if you need to speed it up, butts are very forgiving.
    ·
  • Fix whatever caused the fire temp to drop, shake-up coals, add lump, remove ash from under grate.....

Meat is fine just maybe a little behind your schedule. I agree with Basscat to get the fire turned up to 300*.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,516
    The meat is perfectly fine. With a dome of 250, it is not unusual for the butt to be in the 160 - 170 range for maybe 6 - 8 hours, sometimes more.
    ·
  • outrageousoutrageous Posts: 531
    lee, keep cooking and enjoy.. it will be fine
    ·
  • KokemanKokeman Posts: 815
    Your above 140. It is fine.
    ·
  • FSM-MeatballFSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    You are fine. I have done this exact thing myself and the butt turned out good.
    ·
  • Thanks for the replies! As I said, I was pretty sure it was okay but wanted someone to clear my conscience about feeding it to my pregger wife, lol.

Had the fire die down the first time I did butts almost two years ago, but haven't had any issues since and this is probably my 11th and 12th butts since then.
    ·