Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stoker for XL...5 or 10cfm fan?

dsmithdsmith Posts: 147
edited 10:17AM in EggHead Forum
I see on Rock's website the recommended fan for the XL is the 10cfm. The rec. package is priced at about $325 but you can buy the 5/5cfm dual system package for $340. The only reason I would do that is to get the extra fan as I currenly only have one Egg. I just want to make sure the 5cfm fan would actually do the trick.

Any input from you with Stokers and an XL?
·

Comments

• BobinFlaBobinFla Posts: 361
    The 5 CFM fan will work fine. I have a Smoker thats volume is almost twice that of the XLBGE, and even the 4 CFM fan works well in it.

Remember, your Egg is almost completely sealed and in reality, when your fire is burning you aren't pushing much more than 1-1/2 to 2 Cubic Feet per Minute. That's a lot of air going through that small opening in the top, even in the Extra Large Egg.

BOB
    ·
  • dsmithdsmith Posts: 147
    That is kind of what I was guessing although this is an area totally new to me. Let's face it, my Egg is stitting about 225F as I type with no forced air. My main reason for getting a Stoker is so I can go to sleep with no worries of large temp swings. (it is now 1am and I am heading that way)

Is there really any reason to drop $325 on a single 10cfm package vs. $265 for a single 5cfm with the XL adapter? Sounds kind of like a no-brainer since I only have the one Egg anyhow.
    ·
  • BobinFlaBobinFla Posts: 361
    I'll tell ya what. Buy the 5 CFM package. If you think that the 5 CFM fan isn't large enough, I will buy it from you since I am in need of another fan. You can then buy just the 10 CFM fan and add it to your set-up.

Deal? ;)

BOB
    ·
  • AvocadosAvocados Posts: 465
    I've got 3 of the 5cfm blowers and one stoker has had no problem controlling my 3 large eggs at once along with 6 meat probes. The blower only 'puffs' on lightly for 4 or 5 seconds once each minute or two while maintaining the large at a steady 225 so an XL egg should need anything larger.
    ·
  • bubba timbubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I have 3 gurus and all have 10 cfm blowers. I use it on Med and Lrg with no issues.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
    ·
  • egganatoregganator Posts: 18
    I use the 5 on my XL with success at temps lower than 300, which is most of the time. The 10 cfm package seems to cycle on and off more than the 5 does.
    ·