Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt time

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK it's 5pm. I'm in the plateau now with two 8 pounders. It's at 225 dome and 162 degrees in each. About how might I expect this to take before I can take them off to rest in the cooler? Guests come at 6pm and will get restless around 7pm. Do you think I can pull them off at 6:30 or will I not be there yet?
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• BullyQue
    BullyQue Posts: 48
    Options
    225 is too low on the dome. You may be looking at 200-210 at the grid. Crank it up to 300 on the dome if you are going to try and get it done in a couple of hours.
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    crank it up and put in foil and put back on...

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    Options
    yes I agree with both BullyQue and outrageous crank that temp
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    As outrageous mentioned, foil it. The butts have already absorbed all of the smoke flavor that they are going to anyways, so foil them and crank that egg up. HURRY!! lol
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I wanted to come back and say thanks for the help. Foiling slipped my mind. I thought I would loose the bark cause of the foil but did not. I took them off at 7pm. They ran 12 hours. Parts of them were hard to pull but I had no complaints. My friend and neighbor who has owned two restaurants said they were outstanding. Everyone loved the crunch of the bark. I rubbed them with a combination of DP Dizzy Dust and my own rub recipe. So success. For sauce I used bottled Q Barbeque sauce (Tuffy Stone's restaurant here) and "Lexington Dip", a Piedmont style western Carolina vinegar sauce that I got from the Amazing Ribs website. Really liked that sauce. And sorry for no pics but the vultures were standing around me as I was pulling it, so no time.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009