Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oil or no oil?

Options
SoDakEgger
SoDakEgger Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an interesting question for all my fellow Eggheads out there. I was watching BBQ last night. Not my favorite show, but sometimes some interesting ideas.

Raichlen always makes a point of oiling racks before putting food on the grill. In my experience, that step has generally been more trouble than it seems to be worth. Also, to me, it seems like right on a grate, whatever oil you get on with a paper towel or old cloth is going to burn off pretty fast. This isn't like putting oil in a saute pan.

Am I missing the true BBQ secret of the universe? Anyone care to extol the virtues of a light coating of oil on the grates before grilling food?

Comments

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    I keep my grates "seasoned" so that they won't rust, but I just heat 'em up and slap on the meat.
    Remember, he is speaking to the masses, not those who play with fire all of the time. :P

BOB
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    I never oil mine, tried it a couple times and seemed to make more of a mess than its worth.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    No oil. I never clean my grates. Before I throw on my food I might hit it with a grill brush to get the big chunks off, but other than that if your not cleaning them with soap or something (terrible thing to do + messy as hell), there would be no need to oil it.
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Options
    I always clean my grates and never use oil. When the meat has cooked to a certain degree of done it won't stick anyway. Just me.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I will at times, maybe if putting fish on. I am not much of a fish eater so it's far and few between times. I will heat her up and wire brush it and throw the meat on.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    Options
    Just broke in my AR rig from Tom, no oil, no worries :) . Cooked 3 butts and 2 StL Ribs ... I usually never clean my grids, just heat and brush, but I must admit I'm feeling a bit guilty about a bit of burnt fat on the XL slider bars since it is not a cooking surface.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I use a bit of oil on the grid when cooking veggies or fish...
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Options
    Never used oil in my vertical smoker and don't plan to with the egg. The grill stay "seasoned" with use.

I have sprayed the grill in my gasser with Pam when cooking chicken, but that grill is now destined for the curb. :)
  • SoDakEgger
    SoDakEgger Posts: 122
    Options
    There seems to be a trend developing. This is about what I though.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Really.. the curb? Would you not consider donating it to a youth camp or the like where it might be better used than by your sidewalk vulchers... The one who's nose is highest dies first when the tide omes in..
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I just let the grill heat up and hit it with a wire brush. when I bake or do pizzas I leave the grill under my platesetter and that does a real good job of burning off any bits I have missed.

I have never oiled my grates and I really don't use a lot of oil in my cooking, as stated earlier when the heat is right and the meat is ready it won't stick.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I've learned to brush my fish or anything else I think might stick to my grate with a little oil before putting it on, but I never oil my grate.