Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bad Byron's Butt Rub?

BullyQueBullyQue Posts: 48
edited 8:44AM in EggHead Forum
What are your thoughts on it. They just started stocking it at our local market.
·

Comments

• I've used numerous things on my butts, and I always go back to the tried and true BBBR. I like all of the Dizzy Pig rubs, and I use them almost exclusively with the exception of two other rubs, BBBR and a local coffee based rub that is phenomenal.
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,579
    You asked for personal opinions so I'll come forth. I bought it - used it once - then threw the rest of it in the trash!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • FiretruckFiretruck Posts: 2,676
    Love it, one of my favorites.
    ·
  • BobinFlaBobinFla Posts: 361
    Buy it.

It's a "Power Rub" meaning that you don't use it straight. Most use it 50/50 with Turbinado sugar.

I could name 50 competition teams that use it but then I'd have to kill you :silly: (or they might kill me!) :whistle:

Seriously, it's very popular on the competition circuits. It DOES have a lot of salt, but as I mentioned above, it is intended to be mixed with something.

BOB
    buys it by the gallon jug B)
    ·
  • Seriously? What didn't you like about it?

One other thing to add for the OP, I had a friend come over and eat some of the Q that I made one day and he went to the local Egg store and picked up a large container of BBBR. A few weeks later I was at his house and he had already put hurting on the bottle so I asked him what he had been putting it on and he said "everything". He was serious, he puts it on everything.
    ·
  • "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    It's way too salty for my taste,but you may like it.Give it a shot :)
    ·
  • OblioOblio Posts: 53
    The folks I cook for seem to like it, I rarely bring home leftovers from my church offerings. Works nice on pork ribs also.
    ·
  • What? I've never mixed it with anything. I guess maybe I'm doing it all wrong.
    ·
    I bet he didn't "cut" it with anything, and it was too salty!

BOB
    ·
  • Damn.....now I'm thinking I should have been cutting mine, lol. I freaking COVER mine with BBBR and don't cut it with a thing. What do you use with yours??
    ·
    Nah. If you like it, it's NOT wrong. ;)
    Just the way many competition teams use it.

You know those big jugs of Pork Rinds @ Sam's Club? Yeah, add straight Butt Rub. That big jug will just disappear! :whistle:

BOB
    ·
    The folks I cook for seem to like it, I rarely bring home leftovers from my church offerings. Works nice on pork ribs also.
    ·
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

See my other reply to you! :laugh: :laugh:

BOB
    ·
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Love it on butts and wings, straight on butts but cut 3:1 with turbinado on wings. I don't use it on beef or ribs, but know many that do.

But, to each his own.
    ·
  • LOL. I didn't realize I was talking to the same person in both posts. Thanks for the reply!
    ·
  • Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    I'm with RRP. Tried it and then tossed it in the garbage can. TOO MUCH SALT.
    ·
  • tpc1tpc1 Posts: 54
    I bought a big container of it early in the year. I like it on steaks and roast's but not on pork. But i will try to mix it after reading the post's below.
    ·
  • KokemanKokeman Posts: 815
    I like it a lot. It is salty but we like our salt. I use it straight on pork butt, and mix it 50/50 with turbinado sugar for chicken wings and breast. I even like it on tator tots.
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    As others have said, it is very salty, Byron himself will tell you so. I mix it 2parts Byrons, 1 part brown sugar and 1 part paprika. Got some ribs on right now getting ready to pull. I like Memphis style ribs, served with a dry rub and sauce on the side, Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red mixed, gotta go, it is time to eat :) :P :woohoo: 5899382408_fa5bc79f32.jpg
    P7030018 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
    :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
    ·
  • chrisnjennchrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I like it and use it a lot on my butts. Everyone I know likes it. Good, quality product. I love other rubs like Dizzy Pig, but on pork butt this is one of the best.
    ·
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    I have MORE BBBR in my cabinet than ANY other spice, I think it's a quart jar...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
    ·
  • BasscatBasscat Posts: 666
    Waaayyyyy too salty for me, but as usual, YMMV. Might be OK if cut with other less salty things, as others have said. I really like his Jubilee Seasoning on fish.
    ·
    I bought a big container of it early in the year. I like it on steaks and roast's but not on pork. But i will try to mix it after reading the post's below.
    ·
    ·
    SmokinParrotHead wrote:
    LOL. I didn't realize I was talking to the same person in both posts. Thanks for the reply!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1.gif 1.gif

BOB
    ·
  • FSM-MeatballFSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    I like it. My buddy swears by it and uses it on almost everything.

I will add it to brown sugar as a rub for ribs and butts.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,420
    Use it all the time. Very good rub. As his Jubilee is also very good on seafood.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    Grrr .... Firefox keeps reloading the old tab that I posted, I killed it now, sorry 'bout the duplicate posts, still like the rub though and will try the cut version too :)
    ·
  • BB1857BB1857 Posts: 131
    Tried it on ribs and it was just awful. I didn't know it was meant to be cut so I guess it's not a fair assessment. I don't use it meat anymore but I do use it when I make BBQ sauce.
    ·
  • chrisnjennchrisnjenn Posts: 534
    It isn't supposed to to be cut unless you want to. I wouldn't use it on ribs. Only butts. I have specific rubs for specific meats.
    ·