Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vertical Burn

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I started the egg for my two ten pound butt and it seemed to be dying out so I took the PS back off and put one more starter block in, but I placed it in the center. Got the egg back to 250 stable and finally put the butts on. It seems, however, that the other two places I initially lit are out completely and that only the center is burning.

Question: What, it anything, can I do about it now or should I just let it go and hope it will spread?

These butts went on about an hour ago, and I'm not sure whether to take them off and light the egg again in a couple more spots.

Thanks!

Comments

• WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    It should spread....did the lump get wet in the areas that went out?
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Nope, no wet lump. I usually start my overnights in three places so when I saw that it was only burning in the center I just got a little concerned. I light just the center all the time when I light with the MAPP torch, but that is for shorter cooks. I don't light with the MAPP torch for overnighters.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Mine does that all the time.Burns to the bottom in the center then spreads.That's why I mix smoke wood throughout the lump before fireing up the egg.The fire finds new smoke wood as it travels.