Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork cook time

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a shoulder , 7 pounder at 225, friday night for a bbq saturday. I put it on at midnight, thinking it would be done by no later than 2 pm saturday. It didn't hit 190 until 4:30. Any idea why? It did have a thick fat cap, but I scored it damn near to the meat. It did have the nicest bark and best flavor of any shoulder I'd ever done. Long story short, is there a more accurate time to temp ratio for cooking a shoulder, or are there too many variables. Thanks

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    pulled pork can take any amount of time it wants, it seems. You really can't depend on X pounds taking Y hours. You guess at it but not with much accuracy.
    The Naked Whiz
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    That's why everybody says to cook at 250-270 dome. Gets done faster, uses less charcoal and taste the same.
  • EggLuver
    EggLuver Posts: 64
    Options
    I learned my lesson with this just a few days ago. Cooked a 4.17 lb butt at 230-240 expecting it to take maybe 8-10 hours. It took 14 hours!!! I was on the forum asking for advice and it seems the consensus was to cook at a higher temp. Next time I will go with 250-270 dome temp.

However, the 14 hour butt was absolutely incredible. I think it might be the best thing I've cooked on the Egg so far!!

Maybe, if you need it to finish at a later time, go with the lower temps and if you want it done sooner, stick with 260 or so.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I've only done one, a 7.5 pounder, most of the cook was 230 ish, it took 2.13 hours per lb. Like they say pork is gonna do what pork wants and be ready when it pleases itself, not you. I'd allow 2.2 hours per lb and still leave a margin so you can foil and rest before serving 2-4 hour rest would be okay and meat would still be above 160 with 4 hour rest (if placed in a cooler with xtra towels)
    Be Well

Knoxville TN