Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot and Fast Boneless Leg of Lamb

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Everyone...[p]I've done lamb lots of ways, chops, frenched, multiple roasts. But, I haven't opened up a boneless leg and done it hot and fast, like I've seen some in some recipes. I'm thinking of giving it a try that way this weekend and have a couple of questions...[p]1) Do you trim the piece, once you've opened it up, so that the thickness is somewhat consistent?[p]2) What dome temp do you aim for? Direct on the regular grid (not raised)?[p]3) About how long do you cook it on each side?[p]4) What's your favorite seasonings and/or marinades for it?[p]Thanks a bunch!
Tonia
:~)[p]

Comments

• yoyo_in_atlanta
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Mmmmm. Lamb. My favorite. What time is dinner? I need six hours advance notice! You really need to move closer. Like next door.[p]I'm guessing that rosemary might be nice on lamb.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    QBabe,
    Think T-Rex, Really Big T-Rex.[p]Start, as you alluded, by butterfly cutting to get a fairly uniform thickness. I like to marinate at least 2 hours in white wine, olive oil, lemon juice, chopped onion and oregano. Sear both sides of the meat around 650, pull the meat and let it rest while the dome temp drops to under 400 degrees. Return the meat to the Egg and roast about 15 minutes to the pound (internal temp in the 130 to 135 range). Allow meat to rest 10 to 15 minutes before carving.[p](Oh, and invite us for dinner...)[p]Ken

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    yoyo_in_atlanta,
    Rosemary IS wonderful on lamb. And a leg
    in the BGE is definitely the way to go.
    HS

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    HolySmokes,
    And garlic... gotta have garlic, and lemon wedges at the table. [p]Mike in MN

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    QBabe:[p]I do not trim, I do not turn, and I now cook it laid out flat.[p]I marinate the boneless leg of lamb in a mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and oregano over night in the refrigerator. Prior to the cook, let the meat warm up a little. Cook at 350º on a raised grid laid out flat to an internal of 120º to 125º at the thickest and let it rest covered for ten to fifteen minutes.[p]Pictured is a boneless leg of lamb cooked rolled up with squash and mushrooms:[p]lol1.jpg[p]lol3.jpg[p]Alternate seasonings such as a dusting of Lawry's or your favorite beef should work too.[p]Leftovers make great sandwiches thin sliced and served with tadzeki sauce.[p]Keep your eyes open, Sam's occasionally has boneless leg of lamb at reasonable prices. That's the time that I purchase by the case for even greater savings.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    QBabe,
    The legs I have bought have one large/thick muscle compared to the rest of the leg. I make a cut down the middle of it open it up a bit and allow it to lay flay with a more uniform thickness. (If you can find the AB Good Eats Episode "Grill Seekers", he shows how to do this.) I've done them both ways and I like them both ways.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • crkscrw
    crkscrw Posts: 59
    Options
    QBabe,[p]in terms of trimming, if you are talkin about fat, it depends on what you like in terms of 'lamb-i-ness' anmd what kind of lamb it is. australia/nz lamb is stronger flavored than usa lamb, so for my taste i cut off almost all the fat if its non usa lamb--i like it milder. gotta be careful on butterflied legs when trimming not to separate too many layers annd make it fall apart. [p]btw virginians, if you ever happen across virginia lamb--
    pounce--it is the best!

• QBabe
    Options
    yoyo_in_atlanta,[p]Howdy! Yes, I DO wish we were a bit closer. We could do a bit of damage if that were the case, couldn't we?[p]The first lamb I ever had was one I did on the egg the first year we got it. It was our offering at Thanksgiving dinner. I couldn't believe how good it was![p]Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Thanks! That sounds wonderful....[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Oh my that looks absolutely fantastic! Thanks...[p]See, I knew if I threw a post out here, I'd get all sorts of ideas. [p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I'll look for it. Thanks![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    crkscrw,[p]I have no earthly idea whether it's Australian or American. I just know where they are in the case at Sam's Club...![p]I LOVE the taste of lamb, so am not really interested in changing the flavor. Just wondered about trimming since I know the ones I've bought in the past are not a uniform cut.[p]Thanks!
    Tonia

• crkscrw
    crkscrw Posts: 59
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Its most likely Australian--they produce way more than the US and mainly grass fed, which accounts for the difference in taste (ours is part grass, part grain).