Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ SURPRISE

Options
Wakefan
Wakefan Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done plenty of boston butt smokes (using Elder Ward's method), but this time something odd happened.
Started the day at the store I prefer - best butcher shop in north georgia. Picked out 2 boston butts that looked similiar in size (rarely does this actually matter for some reason as they are rarey done at the same time). Lit the egg at 11pm and inserted the plate setter, then stabilized the egg at a little over 250 dome, around 11:30 PM, and i added 2 Butts. for some reason the fire climed to 275 about an hour later, and I figured - it always loses 15 - 25 degrees over night - no big deal. so i slightly adjusted the vents to be more closed and turned my table so it did not face the wind (prob why it climbed). waited another 30 minutes and went to bed around 1AM (temp was around 270).
got up at 5AM to check it, and it was at 250 even (as expected).
BUT - the butt was at 185 degrees internal temp...
i have done this enough to know that it should have been around 160 - 165, with at least another 6 hours of cook time...
Both butts (about 6 pounds each) came off at 7AM at 200 degrees.
still plenty of charcoal in the grill. the one factor that i did not mention was that i used BONE IN butts for the first time. do bone in butts cook faster?

Have any of you had an issue with bone in butts cooking faster?

i hope the BBQ tastes as good as normal - i am used to converting folks to the NC BBQ flavors and this would be my first strike out if it is dry or tough.

Happy 4th.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Some bone conducts heat faster than muscle and fat. It seems to me that the bone in a butt is porous enough that it might hasten the cook a little. Sort of like sticking a nail in a potato.

But, I'm more inclined to think that the 270 temperature had more to do with it.

However, there are some butts that just get done fast. It depends on how dense the muscle was (animal young or old, exercised or not), how much cartilage, how much fat, etc.

The meat should be fine. If it felt "jiggly" when you took it of, is tender. I doubt it will be dry. Just hold it carefully wrapped.
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    Options
    I've never had a butt finish that quickly, if anything they take longer. It must be 4th of july meats because I'm having close to the same issue with my 3 briskets
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Bone-in, 6# butts? Seem awfully small to me. Sure they weren't picnics?

Anyway... most agree to allow about 1.5 hr per pound, so they were a little faster, but not what I would consider to be "turbo" butts.

Butt cooks are probably the most forgiving cook we do - wrap them in foil and towels and leave in a warm cooler until ready to pull. They will be great ! :woohoo:
  • Wakefan
    Options
    thanks for the feedback.
    you guys are quick!

Happy 4th!
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Were they brined, injected or tumbled?

All of the above can make a butt cook faster.

BOB
  • Wakefan
    Options
    Not Brined, injected, or tumbled (what the heck is "tumbled"? LOL).
    I don't know if it was a Butt or a picnic, but the label said Butt... either way, i pulled it and performed my standard QC inspection ;)
    I came out VERY good.

problem is that the guests dont arrive until 5 - so i am using the crock pot and Elder Ward's NC sauce to keep the meat warm and moist.

thanks again to all of you.

Wakefan