Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CHICKEN THIGHS, DIRECT OR INDIRECT?

Options
UNDFTD
UNDFTD Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Plan on cooking some chicken thighs tomorrow and would like to get some tips on how to cook them. How long, what temperature and do i use a plate setter?

thanks

Comments

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Six of one half dozen of the other...

Actually what I started doing was skin down for 10 min direct, then flip and add indirect (I use a preheated pizza stone on my adjustable rig) & drip pan to finish. For me this gets the crispy skin and keeps the fat from dripping on the coals causing a bit of black smoke which I have found adds some flavor...

Actually it doesn't matter all that much on thighs. If I had to do only one way I would probably go direct.

20110320_Thighs.jpg
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    I always do mine direct on a raised grid.
    _DSC5521-Edit.jpg
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    Direct raised grid at 350 turning them a couple times.

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Like others, I feel raised direct is the best setup for chicken parts of any kind. If you dont have a Woo or Rig, you can shim the stack with balls of tin foil, partially crushed beer cans, etc. On my Small I use three aluminum brackets between the firebox and firering that raises the grid about 3" above regular level.