Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New Gasket

Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
edited 2:19PM in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a brisket tonight, gotta have a gasket
So I did this, using Franks method. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1020644&catid=1
_DSC5525.jpg
_DSC5526.jpg
_DSC5527.jpg

Comments

• SpentrupSpentrup Posts: 9
    why do all the work ??.

Remove old one clean it and put on a nomex gasket.

takes lige 15 20 mins i did it last weekend on my 2 eggs
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    I only want to do this once, this is the egg I do pizzas on.
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    Looks nice Tim! we have a bit of cronics gasket left but will only do the small I think. we are going that route with the next change
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Spentrup wrote:
    why do all the work ??.

Remove old one clean it and put on a nomex gasket.

takes lige 15 20 mins i did it last weekend on my 2 eggs

Simple, the nomex got fried too
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    The Permatex Ultra Copper gasket technique is essentially permanent. The nomex gasket is not. It is probably worth the effort to solve your gasket problem for many years to come.
    The Naked Whiz
  • That looks great! I need to investigate this method.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 4,497
    Question for those of you who've done this: is the copper goup flexible enough to lay a thermocouple cable over, or do you cut a notch in the stuff for the cable? I'm adding a copper gasket to my Large after my first pizza cook...

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 2,036
    Well then, what about the Rutland gasket in terms of permancy?

:huh:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    The silicone just looks cleaner to me, every time I put marinated thighs on you cant help but get the gasket. The idea of my food in contact with fiberglass just doesn't excite me. I know this is going to ruffle some feathers, sorry.
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 2,036
    My feathers feel fine, I just appeciate the info :lol: ......any other thoughts?
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • EdemitchEdemitch Posts: 196
    I did the same gasket about a month ago after frying both the felt and the nomex. I think the base has imperfections. I only did the base. I have a felt on top and it is working great. This seems to have resolved my gasket issues.

Ed