Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Messed up and the fire died down

Options
tpc1
tpc1 Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was doing a overnight cook of a pork shoulder and messed up. I started the cook at midnight at 250 and set my temp gauge to alert me if the temp dropped and i must of messed it up. Last time i checked it was around 5 am and the meat was around 150 or so. I got up at 8 and the fire was at 140 and meat at 145. So i am not sure how to go. I am bringing fire back up to 250 but i am unsure how to handle the meat? Thanks for the help

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You should be fine. If the meat was still 145, no bugs were growing. If there were any, they probably all died sometime around 3 a.m. The meat may be just a tiny bit drier at the end because of the longer time it will need to cook. However, this is nothing that a bit of sauce won't remedy.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Everything was fine at 5 AM and three hours later the meat was still above the danger zone, so my thought is you are good to go.
  • tpc1
    Options
    Thanks for the help. So should i run it up to the desired temp or pull it somewhere in between the desired temps. I was going to pull it at 190 and rap it and let it rest. Thanks again
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    bump your temp up a little, even 275 is not going to hurt it and stay with the plan. pull at meat temp 190 195 is where we go depends on the meat and the time I have to deal with it at that point. Butts are pretty forgiving as long as you stay above 140 as a danger point and sauce will fix any dryness but I doubt you will have that problem
  • Tiny
    Tiny Posts: 5
    Options
    I have the same issue but.....my meat temp is 96. What should I do?
  • Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    Options
    I usually run it up at least past the plateau or to the target temp if I need to hold it in a cooler for awhile, which is BTW what I am doing right now ... :whistle:
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Tiny, how long at that temp? fire out cold? or were you just starting?
  • gdenby
    Options
    How long? Less than 2 hours, even food safety rules say you are O.K. Just get it in a hot environment, and finish up.

If more than 2 hours below 140, I wouldn't consider serving to toddlers or elders.
  • Tiny
    Options
    left it at 11pm 225 dome. got up this morning egg was warm to touch but dome at 100. meat temp at 8am 96.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    mmmm i would not serve it as much as I hate to say it..9 hours is a long time and it would not have gotten very hot at the high point during the cook either.. 225 is hard to hold with out assistance of a draft generator. we go 250 though whether we are using one or not :(
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Options
    Tiny, I think you should chuck it. TPC1 and Tiny, the big question is why did it happen? My guess is you didn't have enough fuel in the ole egg or you didn't start out with a clean eff. That's what happend to me once. My fire burnt way down due to lack of fuel. I was able to re kindle and save the butt. However, it wasn't as good as others. Steady even heat is important. In my humble, somewhat qualified, somewhat unqualified but always eager to offer, opinion.
  • Tiny
    Options
    OK. Not what I wanted to hear but agree. Will try again tonight with the shoulder and fall back to burgers and dogs for today. lesson learned :(
  • gdenby
    Options
    You have to assume the worst. If the dome was still at 120, bug growth would have been almost nil. But given your set up, the heat coming from the butt was what was keeping the dome warm. Although the chances it became contaminated are pretty small, meat at 100 is a wonderful place for bacteria etc. to grow.

Always hurts to say: pitch it.
  • tpc1
    Options
    Mine is from being stupid. I checked everything last night around 5 and when i did the daisy wheel pretty much closed up and i did not notice it. The temp is back up to about 275 right now and i am going to continue like nothing happened and hope for the best. Just like you guys suggested. I think im going to buy a controller so i wont do this again, either a Guru or Digi q. Thanks for all the help.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Tiny if you are not doing anything today why not throw it on now? it will be done by bed time tonight and you can keep an eye on it. set it up like you are not going to be there and leave it alone and just watch to see if you start to get into trouble. pull and toss the fat and frig till tomorrow. that is what i am doing as I have to many other things to cook tomorrow and the PP will go in to the crock pot with some juices and reheat to serve.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    We have all been there done that :) cept mine went the other way and I had a nice burnt offering LOL either way you learn and it does not happen again ;) we hope LOL
  • tpc1
    Options
    I just pulled it at 195 and wrapped it. I put some stuffed vidalia onions on to go and will hope for the best. The pork looks good and has a nice bark. So atleast if it taste like crap the picture will look good. Thanks for all the help
  • Tiny
    Options
    thanks for the good advice. One more question we are set up for overnight cook would like to do burgers & dogs tonight then adjust temp for another try at overnight with shoulder. anything special need to be done?
  • Mainegg
    Options
    LOAD IT UP and make sure it is stable at 240-250.
  • tpc1
    Options
    Thanks for all the help this morning. I followed every ones advice and brought it back up to temp and pulled it at 195, wrapped it for a bit. It came out great. real good flavor and it was done just right. So i got lucky. But i think its time to buy a Guru. Thanks again. I will get some pics up tonight.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    It's not time to buy a Guru until you learn how to control your temps! And this is NOT said to you, but to all that have had a long cook go bad. Truly, it's up to you, but regardless where you live, it makes me feel good knowing I know how to manage my Egg without a crutch. Yes, we have a Digi...but when electricity goes out, I know we can cook for the neighborhood without it! The Guru is a 'crutch'....the Egg is MORE than capable of long standing steady temps. It's the operator that messes it up. (Again..I am NOT saying this to you specifically...) Frankly, I think there should be a learning time before Gurus are allowed...kind of like a learners permit. Sorry for the rant, and yes, we have one now, but we went 14 years without one (overnight cooks included). Again, my apology for ranting, but a Guru or whatever, is NOT the solve all. Learn to contol the vents first....JMO!
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    I agree with Little Chef. You need to buy a remote thermometer first and learn to control the temps. With a remote therm it will alert you when your Egg gets too low or you food gets too high, either way if you set it right it will give you plenty of time to adjust before you ruin another cook.

I did my first overnight without one, but set my alarm clock to wake me up every two hours to check on it. Since then I have purchased the remote thermometer and haven't looked back.

I am about to buy a stoker or guru too, but I've had the egg for about five years, so if I had to do without I could.