Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs on - not confident

elzbth
elzbth Posts: 2,075
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for the advice last night...through the wee hours of the morning I searched and searched - don't think I've made the best choice and am thinking about plan B. I ended up rolling them (skewered and tied) - and as they were too high in the dome I pulled out the platesetter, which dropped the grid. For better or worse I've got them on direct at 225 and watching like a hawk. Have some thought I can keep from burning them and eventually re-insert the plate setter/drip pan. If I have totally screwed up, tell me now as I'm going to need plan C - something to eat around 2p today. :unsure:

IMG_2723.jpg

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Never done them that way, but I'm with you...not thinking it's a good call, especially the rolled up part as I would think they will cook unevenly. Rather see them cut in half racks and stacked in a rack - above a placesetter.

Good luck
  • elzbth
    That was my plan - the rib rack was too large. However...with the grid lowered, it might now fit. But it won't work with plate setter. I'm thinking I could probably unroll them and get them on the rack. But I'm still without platesetter. Heading out to survey the situation. Thanks - you've got me thinking....
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Make a heat barrier outta something else.Drip pan,foil,pizza stone.Just anything to deflect the direct heat.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yes, get something between them and the coals. HD foil will be your friend. Ribs can be done direct from the raised position, but down low will probably get scorched.

Rolled tight like that, it will take a lo-o-ong time to finish. There was one post several years ago of rib slabs coiled around themselves till the entire grill was filled solid. The poster said they turned out o.k., but took many more hours than usual.

Altho I've only seen it done a few times, you could cut them into smaller sections, and stack them on top of each other. Then rotate and flip every half hour.

Once they get a nice color and smoke flavor, plan B is to finish them in a 250 oven. Baste if drying. Maybe return to Egg for a last minute crisp, and sauce.
  • elzbth
    Where there's a will, there's a way. I put the plate setter back in, drip pan in place. They are not ruined yet - they are packed together and the dome closes. They had rendered just enough (thank God) - but I am kind of nervous still. The dome closes freely - it did not previously. I'm early enough in the day that I've got time to go lower than my planned 275. Do you think that's a better idea - From all I could find, I think the rolls will be fine. I hate this feeling.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Good Luck.Keep us posted. :)
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    elzbth wrote:
    Where there's a will, there's a way. I put the plate setter back in, drip pan in place. They are not ruined yet - they are packed together and the dome closes. They had rendered just enough (thank God) - but I am kind of nervous still. The dome closes freely - it did not previously. I'm early enough in the day that I've got time to go lower than my planned 275. Do you think that's a better idea - From all I could find, I think the rolls will be fine. I hate this feeling.

Think you'll be just fine elzbth. That "feeling" can be cured with an adult beverage of choice. For me, anything in the 250-275 range works well on BBs. As Hoss said, Good Luck, we're cheering for ya!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Good Morning Elzbth, I agree with the others about getting a barrier such as several sheets of HD aluminum foil. Perhaps when the meat shrinks consider making a looser spiral so the inner portion gets cooked with the outter portion not getting overcooked. Are you able to
    cut the slabs in 1/2 or 1/3's and teepee them around the grid with some air space inbetween? Good luck.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Good morning Elizabeth. What the others said. Remember relax, breath and trust the egg. B)
    Have a wonderful time!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • elzbth
    Trust me - it's been a Bloody Mary Morning. I've never cared for Mimosa's, but pineapple juice and Malibu work - and I think that will be my breakfast beverage today. Thanks for giving me the nudge I needed. :laugh:
  • elzbth
    Thankfully - I was able to reinsert the plate setter and drip pan - they are snugged up, but they are indirect. I'm going to keep low for 3 - 4 four hours at least, then decide about unrolling them one at a time and finishing them. I've got a very nice styrofoam container that will be perfect for holding them (I've taken egged food to work and it's held temps for 3+ hours). I'll post pics later as the cook continues. Thanks for the advice. :)
  • elzbth
    Thanks for the comments- I've got apple juice spritzer ready and waiting. With the platesetter back in place, things aren't feeling quite so bad. I've never rolled them like this, so I'm definitely out of my comfort zone. Still early enough in the day and I'm defnitely thinking about options - have a great container for holding them if I have to rotate to finish them. :)
  • elzbth
    Thanks Molly - not able to relax yet. I need these ribs to be great. Taking lunch to a friend who is confined to a rehab unit - recovering from a stroke. I knew when I put them on direct that I was screwing up. Right now, they are rolled up tight and smoking away. Keeping my hope high, and moving on to side dishes. Hope you have a great day! ;)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    As a reference point, the difficulty with exposing foods to glowing coals is that the energy being transferred by IR is many times greater than the energy from hot air. Getting the food way up in the dome means the energy from the IR is about half as great. Down near the coals, the surface of the food is getting maybe as much heat as from a 1000F oven. So anything you can get between the coals and the food will greatly reduce the problem.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Did you see Crimsongators suggestion to take out the fire ring rather than the setter? Cutting them in half rather than rolling will make for more even heating.
    I have done ribs on my Small several times, and it works fine. Although I have only done 2 racks at a time. The third could be laid across the top of the other 2.
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    GOOD LUCK! The rolled setup looks like some of the things you see on Food Network. I'm sure some of the talking heads have never tried the things they show us.

For what its worth, I've had success with cooking ribs, then refrigerating or even freezing before finishing over direct heat. Perhaps you could cook your ribs in "shifts" if time permits.

I'd really like to hear how it all turns out.
  • Sorry for coming in late on this e. Like others said, you really need a barrier.

Here is the way I do two racks on the small. this is from a while back but did two racks yesterday the same way. Skewer to have them stand up and maintain some spacing for smoke.
    101_2703800x600.jpg
  • elzbth
    Well - even as I write this, I'm still apprehensive. Reinserted the platesetter and drip pan. Snugged the rolls together (I had cut them in half - 6 pieces of St. Louis style ribs). Spritzing every 30 minutes of so with a Reisling/apple juice mixture. At least they smell good. I've chilled out a bit (adult beverage). What the heck, I say now - we'll see what I'm saying later. Will post pics. Thanks to everyone - I've learned a lesson today and made a decision. Will be breaking the sad news to my sister at lunch - finally bringing my large green egg to live with me here. Previously, my sister and I built a home and when I married a few years back I left the large with her. She doesn't use it much (only when I go over and cook). Will not have this problem again - just have to organize the move. I love this forum - again, my humble thanks to all. :kiss:
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    I bet no matter what happens you'll know how you want to procede next time. Be proud you tried something different.Eggon.Randy