Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trying a brisket

Options
frate
frate Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
wish me luck. success has been elusive so far ...

here's the plan, critique at will:

1) trim all the hard fats out (done)
2) slather with mustard (done)
3) apply rubs (done)
4) refrigerate for 5 hours (in progress)
4) get temp somewhere between 200-225
5) slap brisket on
6) wait

after some hand trimming
IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

mustard and cow lick and ancho chili rub
IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

Comments

• Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Options
    Now, I have not done a brisket yet on my BGE (first one will be tomorrow along with a couple of butts), and I have always done packer cuts, not just flats (done alot of briskets in a vertical smoker). I think that the steps you followed are sound. It looks to me that it is trimmed way to much. It is good to try and get an even thickness, but not at the cost of sacrificing fat. Definitely monitor the temps and start checking for "fork doneness" around 180. Going to be tricky with a brisket that thin.
  • frate
    frate Posts: 35
    Options
    good points. now that i look at it, it does seem thin ... i was trying to follow how they did it here:

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

appears he cut a bunch of the thickness out (all those big chunky pieces of fat). either way i'm going low and slow. i'll post more tomorrow as it pans out.

thanks for this input!
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I agree it will be tricky with such a thin brisket. Looks like all you have is a flat. I'd put it on fat down to protect it from drying out. As much as they'd like you to think it is, the platesetter is still somewhat direct heat. That "fat basting the meat" thing is a bunch of bull poop too IMHO.

Also, Lots of people do that mustard bit. I just don't see any reason too. Maybe one day I'll experiment with it but I'm afraid it will screw up my brisket. All mine have been just fine without it.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I agree, I think you trimmed a little too much and it also looks like you cut the point off. The next brisket I do, I will take some trimming pics and post those on the site. You should be ok. Pull when it gets tender and let it rest wrapped in foil. Good luck with your cook. Btw, should it get dried out, the mear makes great chili...
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    asianflava wrote:
    I agree it will be tricky with such a thin brisket. Looks like all you have is a flat. I'd put it on fat down to protect it from drying out. As much as they'd like you to think it is, the platesetter is still somewhat direct heat. That "fat basting the meat" thing is a bunch of bull poop too IMHO.

Also, Lots of people do that mustard bit. I just don't see any reason too. Maybe one day I'll experiment with it but I'm afraid it will screw up my brisket. All mine have been just fine without it.

Too few people say "bull poop"! Love it! :laugh: :laugh: