Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Morro Bay Rich\'s Santa Maria Style Tri-Tip

Ross in Ventura
Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This year I was lucky to cook next to Rich Miller who I have cooked next to for three Eggs By The Bay Eggfest. This time is the first time that I was able to watch him cook his Tri-Tip this year my wife Jackie came with me to help and help she did. She was so helpful that I had time to see what others were cooking, she had such a good time she can't wait for the next one. This is the Tri-Tip that I cooked tonight.
5b196f01.jpg

5e53a219.jpg
Rubbed and put in the fridge for 3-hrs.
1b68fcd4.jpg
Out of the fridge 1-hr. before searing
b838405f.jpg

4de1684c.jpg

35ce37bb.jpg
Seared for 3-min. a side then pulled and rested in foil until I got the temp. down to 400*
b5b37084.jpg

6d3ae788.jpg

On a raised grid to roast until internal temp. 124* about 30-min. Basting @ 15-min. intervals
60eff025.jpg
Almost there
b0386a5a.jpg
Will foil for 15-min. while I grill some romaine
3abf12dd.jpg
Romaine with Bernstein's Restaurant Recipe Italian Dressing and grated Blue cheese
2a6c5f76.jpg

493914d4.jpg
Served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Spinach that Jackie whipped up it was a wonderful meal Thanks Rich for the recipe and your friendship
d8972550.jpg
YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY

Recipe for the Tri-tip
Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
Basting Sauce, recipe follows
Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows
Seasoning Salt Mixture:
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons white pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 tablespoons granulated garlic
6 tablespoons salt
Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl
Basting Sauce:
½ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil
Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.
Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.
This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.
I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Recipe for Potatoes: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/garlic-mashed-potatoes-with-spinach-recipe2/index.html

Thanks for looking

Ross

Comments