Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

today's quick cook: pizzas

Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
after the debacle last night with the bread machine due to my laziness on a Friday night... we had to resort to a quick pizza dough.

Thanks to Zippy & Vidalia for coming through (err, thanks for Vidalia for emailing me Zippy's recipe, hehe).

Anywho... here's a few quick photos of what transpired.

First, we made the sauce. I know, I know... "don't cook the sauce!" however, my wife and I have been converted. For ALL tomato based sauces, regardless of intent (pizza, pasta, dipping, etc) we use this basic formula...

IMG_6061.jpg

First, we sautee garlic, freshly picked basil, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper in some olive oil.

Once it's done, we pick out the fried basil leaves and discard. The rest gets poured into a pot with whole peeled plum tomatoes (normally we use san marzano... however we haven't been able to find any in Aberdeen yet), then mashed to bits. Add butter, grated parmesan cheese, and a wee bit of sugar (to taste). Result? Best tomato sauce ever! :D

Anywho... on to the dough. As noted, my bread machine experiment was a complete disaster last night... so we ended up using Zippy's quick method which worked perfectly.

Here are the rounds ready for rolling out.

IMG_6062.jpg

Here's my pizza, ready to go on the egg. Toppings = homemade italian sausage, pepperoni, jalapenos sliced on the bias, freshly picked basil leaves, sun dried tomatoes, and some julienned white onions.

IMG_6064.jpg

My egg setup for the pizzas ... plate setter (legs up), CI grate, egg feet, and a pizza stone on top. Was rocking around 700 dome right before I lifted the lid here.

IMG_6065.jpg

Dusted with some corn meal then my pie.

IMG_6066.jpg

Pie ready to come off.

IMG_6069.jpg

and my wife's pie... 3 cheese pizza. mozarella, cheddar, and parmesan. She may have won. hehe

IMG_6067.jpg

Good stuff! :D

Comments