Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best setup for CI grate?

Options
Iko
Iko Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Definitely pulling the trigger on a cast iron grate for my new LBGE. Question: if only getting one, do y'all recommend the standard 18" for the large to sear at the top of the fire ring (and for maximum flexibility for other cooks) -- or a small-13" to use in an inverted spider to get as low to the fire as possible and for TRexing?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You will probably get more use out of the 18" CI grate.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I've gotta go with the 13" and spider.

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    whatever size you choose, be sure to check out www.cast-iron-grate.com, these are good products and the removeable sections give you some options.
    I think you will get more use out of the large grate but the small in the spider [I have both] is unbeatable for a great sear! :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    buy the large. when it cracks within the warranty period - and it most likely will - BGE will give you a new one and you can cut the cracked one down to size for the spider. Two for the price of one. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

'Course, some don't just crack once. Sometimes they crack again, months later. I know this too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    That's one perfect cooking job!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Thanks to Photo Egg's suggestion, I just picked up a Weber CI Grate insert for the 22.5" Weber. This will work in the small and probably work well on the spider right next to the lump bed on the large. Looking for some 1000° serious searing. 15.25" diameter. An added bonus is that it has a diamond shaped grid - no lifting and turning the food to get a cross hatch.

No endorsement of this site, just a place to see the picture.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/kitchen-and-food/grills-and-grill-tools/weber-cast-iron-sear-grate/s184716
    [url][/url]

GG
  • csr
    csr Posts: 27
    Options
    I would go with the 18" CI. Get the Egg up to 700+ degrees, I'm sure you don't want to be putting on a welding mask and mits to cook your steaks. Even being from Texas, I'm not comfortable putting my steaks basically right down on the fire with the 13" and a spider.

I am one of the lucky that still has a 2" filler ring that sits on top of the fire ring, so I'm even further away than even using the standard or CI grate than most. The 2" filler ring has been discontinued by BGE, but heard it may come back. I have a backup because I've been know to break a plate setter (or two)! If you can find one, it's the best thing for grilling with either the standard or cast iron grate as it gets the grate at a level that is more managable for flipping burgers, turning steaks, etc. Sure, closer to the fire sears/cooks faster, but I haven't had a problem, even using the T-Rex method for steaks.

I have both grates, and use the cast iron if I am cooking steaks or burgers. Otherwise, I use the standard grate.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Get the regular one or the craycort for burgers and stuff.If ya wanna REAL sear,just throw the steak directly on the coals,no grid required. ;)For Burgers,not so much,just use a CI griddle/skillet or a ci grid.There are NUMEROUS ways to achieve the same effect. ;)