Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie questions

Shep1369
Shep1369 Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was given an Egg type cooker that my father bought in 1968 in okinowa japan. It has never been used and has just been in storage ever since. Is it safe to use? Is there a way to install a thermometer to monitor the temp?

Comments

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Unless it has great sentimental value to you, I would sell it to a collector and use the money for a BGE. I have heard that the ceramic technology was just not there during that era and those older one will crack pretty easily.
    I have never seen one of the ancients before. could you post photos?
    More meat please !! :-)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Check for cracks. Old kamados work fine at lower temperatures. If it has a good seal, it should be fine for low and slow, or even moderate grilling. Unless really thick, lower fire ceramics can start to melt and slump at searing temperatures. Maybe first fire up some lump to drive out any mildew or other organic mater that may have gotten into the porous ceramic.

A small carbide masonry drill bit should cut thru pretty easily. Then getv a Tru-Tell therm for your dome therm.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Do what gdenby says, you should be fine :)
    If it develops a crack you can always use it for a planter :laugh: :laugh:
  • Oblio
    Oblio Posts: 53
    I'd use a Maverick to check the grid temp and not worry about the dome temp. Sounds like a great keepsake.