Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making pork ribs in batches on medium egg

Options
Mary Queen of Kitchen Gadgets
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to make several racks of ribs to take to a party tomorrow but my rib rack and medium egg don't hold enough to cook them all at one time. Does anyone have a suggestion for cooking them in batches? I was thinking maybe putting the first batch on the egg for several hours to get the smokey flavor followed by several hours low and slow on the weber gas grill while the second batch smokes on the egg? Or would it be better to cook the first batch completely on the egg, refrigerate while the second is cooking and then heat them up just before serving.
Its at times like this I wish we had just sprung for the Large in the first place.

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    cut the racks in half
    fit what you can in the rack, then lean some on the rack
    rotate as/if needed during cook
    when finished, wrap in foil and cool, then place in fridge

you can start the second round when you take off the first ;)
  • Thanks for the quick response. What would be the best way to heat the refrigerated ones up before serving? I love the crust of a good dry rub. I tend to serve the sauce on the side.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    that's how we do it, too
    if the place you are serving from has a grill (any kind), you could reheat wrapped then finish direct for a refresh -- won't be quite the same as fresh from the EGG, but still good...
    I reheat leftovers in the microwave :blush:
  • They do have a gas grill but will probably be using it for the chicken they are making. I think I'll just wrap them in foil and warm them on my gas grill or in the oven before we leave for their house. The way I figure it, the second batch will be perfect and the first will still be better than anything that would have come out of an oven or cooked completely on a gas grill.
    Thanks for your help. Have a great holiday.