Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen to the Rescue

Options
Chuck222
Chuck222 Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Being a relatively newcomer, I had my Egg all set for grilling steaks, reverse sear was my game plan since I was grilling some corn in husks and vidalia onions (foiled and with sodium-free beef bouillon & butter) prior to putting the steaks on. It turned out, my fire was pretty uneven. The left side and center was hotter than other portions of the grid. After removing the platesetter and lowering the grid I put the steaks on briefly when the Egg was approaching 400°. I removed them after 6 minutes and noticed some of the steaks were cooking quite a bit faster than the others. I opened the vents and foiled the steaks while I got my trusty Thermapen out and ready to go. When the temp was approaching 500°, I started the sear and used the Thermapen to monitor each steak. When each approached 130° I pulled the steaks and foiled them. To make a short story long, in spite of an imperfect fire in the pit, the steaks were a tremendous success. Each one was medium rare and cooked to perfection. I took the credit but the real accolades go to the Thermapen and the Egg.

I am totally hooked.

Chuck L.

Comments