Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I forgot to put the charcoal grate back on...

windnsea26
windnsea26 Posts: 159
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To make a long story short, I was getting ready to cook some Pork Butt and lit the fire after I cleaned it all up. After about a half hour or so, I went to put the Butt in the Egg and noticed I forgot to put back the Charcoal grate so there are lots of lit coals on the bottom.

Will this damage my egg? I'm so mad at myself for overlooking this. I don't think I've ever done this in my 6 plus years of backyard smoking/grilling.
San Diego, CA

Comments

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    It shouldn't damage the egg but you certainly won't get the airflow you need.
  • Not real sure that it will damage the egg as long as you maintain the low temps, but what it will do is make it damn near impossible to maintain those low temps I'm afraid. I don't see how it will be able to keep temps if the bottom coals keep filling with ash.
  • windnsea26
    Ok good. I did notice the airflow I'm needing to cook a high temp butt is hurting me. Hopefully it can hold itself for the next 5 hours.
    San Diego, CA
  • eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    If it were me, I'd be stopping the show and getting the coals out, and starting again with the grate in place, Shouldn't be that hard to do. If you have a metal container and a metal shovel, like for cleaning a fireplace or wood stove...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

If the lump bet develops air flow through the lump you should be fine. Vent settings most likely will be different.

People have been burning wood on the bare ground for a lot of years now, and those fires seem to keep burning as long as there is fuel.

GG
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    If I was you I would find some type of metal bucket and maybe a small garden shovel and empty it out as best you can...doing butts is a long cook and I don't believe you will have a fire burning for long enough with no grate...empty it out, put the grate in, and dump the burning lump right back in...you'll be good to go then..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I did that once but luckily caught it before I lit the fire.
    In my opinion I wouild just roll with it as long as you are maintaining a good temp. If/when things go awry, just transfer them to the oven, nobody will ever know.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    the air wills still enter and go up through the holes in the firebox. the bottom of the firebox isnt the only one, it just is necessary on high heat, so if its forgotten, dont worry about it.
  • windnsea26
    Just wanted to y'all know everything came about pretty good. Whew!
    San Diego, CA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    The only real issue I can see safty wise is the much higher temp on the bottom of your Egg.
    If you are in the BGE nest I would say no big deal.
    If you are in a table with no feet or paver I would watch for a smoking table.
    Good luck.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas