Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts done in 10 hours

Options
valleyboy
valleyboy Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put 2 7.5lb butts on egg at 10:00pm. Hled temp at 250 for over an hour. At 5:30 am meat was at 190 and egg at 3:20. What caused temp to rise to over 300? Too much charcoal? Too much draft?

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Too much oxygen....yep
  • thegrillster
    thegrillster Posts: 348
    Options
    How long was the temp at 250 before you put on the butts? Stabilizing the temp before the meat goes on is the important factor.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

It always goes back to this: Heat = Fuel + Oxygen.

What were your vent settings in the morning?

The vents should have been, bottom vent open about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. DFMT, slider closed and petals open about the width of a round tooth pick at the widest point. That or close will hold a large about 250°.

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

goes. On butts, figure about 1.5 hours per pound. If multiple butts and they are not touching use the weight of the smallest butt.

7 pounds x 1.5 is about 10 hours. Cook time seems pretty close.

GG
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Every butt I have made takes at least 2 hours per pound at 240-250 degrees dome. So getting a 7.5 pound butt done in 10 hours seems extremely fast to me. 7-8 pound butts is the size I usually buy and it takes me 18-20 hours normally to reach 195. Your temp must of been well over 250 for a while.
  • atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm sure they will still taste great!
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    I know you said it was at 320 but keep two things in mind. One, the cooking temp and dome temp may differ, anywa. Two, unless you have calibrated that dome thermometer you really can't be sure it wasn't cooking much hotter than 300-320.

If I had to guess I would say it was either at 320 for most of those ten hours, or your therm needs calibrating in a bad way.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I read on an different post that as the meat is cooked the temp will climb a little because the size of the mass(meat) starts to shrink. I think the temp was not 100% stabalized. I got a micro adjuster for slo cooks so I can keep track of settings easier. I think it has six or seven little holes so it is easier to remember and keep track for future cooks.
  • valleyboy
    valleyboy Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks, I think you nailed it. Can't wait to try it all over again1