Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Answers to "Grate Mate" Questions . (Pics )

Options
Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There's been much posting lately about different ways to accomplish specific set-ups when using the BGE.[p]Most of the posting seems to center around the Small and the Large.
(No offense to the Medium!!)[p]Maybe the Large because so many BGE owners start with a Large...maybe the Small because it's such a great little cooker in it's own rite![p]The last couple of years I've been around the board I've seen a lot of different ways to "Skin the Cat" as it were, when it comes to set-ups.[p]For my own use I've fabricated three items..."Grate Mates", which allow me to do everything on the Small that you can do on the Large. (accepting the size limitations) Low and slo's...indirects with platesetters and drip pans,high temp cooks, three different grid levels, and a baking option.[p]Simply put...they make multiple set-ups for the "Small" a breeze.[p]After being querried about the origin of some of these items...I'll just say if you're further interested, email me off the board.[p]The photo's are of prototypes, but they will give you the general idea. The actuall items in production are slightly different.[p]We'll be giving some items away at the Texas Eggfest.[p]There will also be info on other items specifically for the Large.[p]
Thanks[p]
Grate mates basic set-ups (examples)[p]GrateMateSet-ups1.jpg[p]GrateMateSet-ups2.jpg[p]GrateMateSet-ups3.jpg[p][p]Some Grate Mate "extended" Set-ups[p]GrateMateExtendedSet-ups3.jpg[p]GrateMateExtendedSet-ups5.jpg[p]GrateMateExtendedSet-ups7.jpg[p]GrateMateExtendedSet-ups8.jpg[p]P40900672.jpg[p]P4130114.jpg[p]Good Evening to all!![p][p][p][p][p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Chubby,
    Those are some great pics. I wish my egg insides looked that white! LOL[p]I really like the idea you have presented; the possibilities are endless. Thanks for sharing.[p]Banker John

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Very cool, Evans
    Your hang-below-the-fire-ring gizmo is very much like the setup I use for my indirects, but a lot more elegant. Please sign me up for some of these brilliant goodies! [p]Good evening right back atchya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Chubby
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks Chris!![p]These set-ups are for the small...[p]You need them I think!![p]As stated...there are some "large" items comming![p]A couple dozen??[p]Evans[p]PS...I appreciate your wise council. (No joke)[p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Very cool! I like what I see. What size pizza stone is that?

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Chubby
    Options
    GrillMeister,

Ed...it's the 12'.[p]I need to chat with you asap if that's possible.[p]I'm planning on leaving tomorrow am'ish.[p]Evans[p]281) 894-4471[p]I'm up late.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Very nice...[p]As a small is in my near future, I will PM you for a set.[p]Toy Man
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Chubby,
    Those are some very nice solutions. Please let me know when you start production.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Chubby,
    Good ideas all. You did well Chubby Skywalker. [p]Spring "Fuzzy Wuzzy" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Chubby, GREAT IDEAS - what material did you use ?

• Chubby, That's a sweet looking setup !!! I'll be contacting you soon... Peace.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Nice, elegant design, Chubbmaster. Would you consider doing a limited production line for the Medium?[p]:-)[p]TRex
  • Chubby
    Options
    TRex,[p]for you....absolutely maybe!![p]Evans
  • Chubby
    Options
    FatBack,[p]Good Enough!![p]Evans
  • Chubby
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]Thank you.[p]That's high praise... comming from "The Chef"!!![p]They are made from "Mild Steel", the production pieces will have a high temp coating also.[p]
    Thanks again.[p]Evans

• Ironbaugh
    Ironbaugh Posts: 93
    Options
    Chubby,
    TGIF-- I've got the small and medium and would love to have these compliments for these grills. Sign me up if you start selling them. Thanks, Rick

• Chubby
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]"Chubby Skywalker"....my wife may never let me live that one down!![p]Maybe there's a part for me in the next Star Wars....?[p]I may need an Agent...right away!![p]as far as a part for you......??[p]I'm envisioning...Darth Chicken maybe!![p]"Let the Smoke be with you"!![p]Chubby Skywalker
  • Chubby
    Options
    Ironbaugh,[p]I am honored...[p]If all goes well....It will be just a few weeks.[p]I will keep in touch.[p]Evans[p]
  • Chubby
    Options
    katman,[p]Thanks...[p]If all goes well, it will just be a few weeks.[p]I'll inform.[p]Have a good weekend!![p]Evans
  • Chubby
    Options
    Toy Man,[p]Good enough!![p]Evans
  • Chubby
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Will do..."oh Practioneer of Pork"!![p]Evans
  • Chubby
    Options
    Banker John,[p]My "Little Guy"... iS still a little "Virginal", but I'll do my best to blacken it up in the comming weeks![p]
    Thanks for the kind words.[p]Evans

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chubby,
    very cool. . . .are you taking orders??

• Chubby,[p]I'd be in for the Medium 'run' if it happens.[p]Fernando
    aka: hakalugi

• Chubby
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I'm supposed to see the first of the final production pieces today. If all looks good, I'll have some in a couple of weeks.[p]I'll get in touch when I do.[p]I'm jealous you got to go to the park!![p]Have a good weekend!![p]Evans
  • Chubby
    Options
    hakalugi,[p]ooooooootay!![p]have a good weekend!![p]Evans
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Chubby, those are very well-designed items. I would suggest getting patents on them and marketing, or selling the patent to a manufacturer for a good price ;~)

• Chubby
    Options
    vr6Cop,[p]I am applying for patents as we speak!![p]Thanks for the compliment!![p]Evans
  • WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    Hey Chubby,
    Nice job! I will definitely be interested in your Grate Mates when you start rolling them out. By the way, I'm glad to see you took the plunge on finally getting a BGE![p]Bob

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    Chubby,
    I own a manufacturing company and machine shop. Before spending time and money on patents,and patent attorneys
    research your market and then ask your self how much will I gain on patents. remember anyone can make a slight change in the construction and patent money is down the drain. I speak from years of experience.[p]Howard in Bartow

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    MR H,
    MR H is right. It's not likely that you would get a "utility" patent because there are many devices that would accomplish the end result. Instead, it would only be a "design" patent. That means anyone can modify the design and claim their design is better. Meanwhile, you will have spent a great deal of money with a patent agent or patent attorney.[p]Your best bet would be to simply make and market the device to any market that could use it. [p]A big word of advice... STAY AWAY FROM THOSE COMPANIES THAT ADVERTISE TO PATENT YOUR PRODUCT. They are a total ripoff. All they want is your money.[p]If you want to know more, check out the Houston Inventors Association http://www.inventors.org/ (I used to be a member)[p]and the US Patent Office: http://www.uspto.gov/[p]Great idea though...[p]Spring "Procrastinating Inventor" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA[p]

[ul][li]Houston Inventors Association[/ul]