Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a 15LB Ribeye HELP!

Options
wspwooks1
wspwooks1 Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting ready to smoke a 15LB whole, boneless ribeye for the first time. I am trying to cook it to a rare to medium rare temperature because I will have to travel about 30 minutes to it's destination and then 2-3 hours later would be our actual eating time.

Please provide me with any and all direction/tips/advice you can that will help with me tackling this task, i.e. cook temperature (internal & external), cook time, rest time, when getting to the destination trying to warm it up without overcooking, etc.

Thank you fellow Eggheads.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I have never cooked that big of a ribeye so I pass on the tips.

Transporting... when you are done cooking wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil keeping the seam at the top. I purchased 2 yards (52" wide) fleece - Stadium Blanket material.

I then wrap the foil pack in the blanket and that's it. I have kept ribs (thin meat) hot to touch for 2 hours. I have kept butt's brisket hot for 5 to 6 hours without reheating either. I haven't found a need for a cooler or any other type container.

You can accomplish the same using a lot of towels too.

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Nice!
    Bought a 15#er for $3.99/# today when going for the butts :laugh:
    Have done a few standing rib roasts and a 5-7#er for roasting.
    Used a V-rack in roasting pan over platesetter, feet up, and grid.
    Think we just did slow and steady, probably 250-ish.
    One time covered in fresh horseradish and garlic :woohoo:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Not sure "smoking" would be the way to go. I haven't made one either, but I think I would go indirect with relatively high heat, say 350-400dome until desired internal temp.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Never done a boneless that big. Definitely place setter, roasting pan with v rack. I think I would put meat on egg at about 450 dome temp and then immediately close down to get temp around the 275-300 range and then cook to desired internal temp. Post pictures
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I agree with Austin Egghead. Would pull at 120* internal, or maybe a little lesss, double-wrap in foil, then towels and transport in a warm cooler. You can always heat it up later if needed and/or if it's too rare then.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out! :woohoo:
  • kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    Options
    What you are cooking is a Prime Rib and it will be better than any you have paid a fortune for in a fancy restaurant. It's actually an easy cook; 250* indirect for heat and for smoke, I just let the lump do it's work. For a boneless, figure about 15 minutes per pound and pull at 123ish for medium rare and let rest a good 20-30 minutes. I do mine fat side down directly on the grid. To catch all the good juices for your au jus, use a dry drip pan under the grid elevated on your green egg feet or a couple of pieces of cooper tubing and then set the roast on a piece of aluminum foil while it's resting to catch some more of the juice. Good luck with your good eats.
  • meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    Options
    I have open fire cooked hundreds of full prime and ribeyes. I worked in a steakhouse and did it multiple times. I personally would cook to 100 maybe 110 wrap it up nice then when you are ready to cut and eat grill it up to where everyone wants it. It is bascially a prime rib. I have never done one on the egg though so post some pictures. We cook open fire probably close to the 450 mark with lots of wood. Good luck I want to see the results.