Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new side dish ideas

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having a cookout tommorrow, featuring pulled pork and rotisserie chicken, and need a few suggestions for side dishes that will wow the crowd. I'm definately having slaw and corn on the cob, but would like to try something new. Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Bente shared this a while back and I have done it a few times - we like it.

Casserole, Potato, Tater Tot, Bente

This is one of my favorite cooks simple, and good... i usually add a few grates of pepper... but no salt because the soup is salty enough

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Bag Onion flavored tater tots
    1 Lb Hamburger meat
    2 Cans Cream of mushroom soup
    2 Cups Cheddar cheese grated
    1 Small Onion
    3/4 Cup Milk

Procedure:
    1 Brown meat and add onion until meat is brown and onion is soft.
    2 Whisk milk and soup together pour over meat.
    3 Spray a lasagna pan with Pam, add tater tots frozen to bottom of pan.
    4 Pour meat mixture over tots and spread cheese on top.
    5 put in egg indirect at 350 for 30 minutes covered. Uncover and cook another 30 min
    6 serve and enjoy

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum. Bente, 2008/05/22
    Pasta salad.

al dente pasta of your choice (we like elbows or bowtie for pasta salad), basil pesto, minced garlic, chopped sundried tomatoes, diced scallions, grated parmesan cheese, extra virgin olive oil, and caesar salad dressing. mmmmm...

and obviously ABT's are always good...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Grilled pineapple with rum sauce makes a great BBQ sweet. Several different ways to make, but basically fresh pineapple wedges coated in brown sugar, grilled, and basted with a rum-butter sauce. Can add other flavors, such as orange and/or vanilla and honey.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01831aa.jpg

Howz about jazzing up that corn with lime mayo, Mexican seasonings & shredded cheese?

Or maybe a Vidallia onion pie. This one has cheese and bacon mixed into the onions and can be baked on a clean burning Egg, the lump will give it a great brick oven flavor.

183fdb48.jpg

These are amongst the recipes in the SIDE DISH section of my cookin' site. Recipe Page
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    There are bucket loads of recipes on the food network web site just type in "side dishes" in the search bar. BTW the onion pie posted by thirdeye is also a winner (no shame using store bought pie crust) ;)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    the red cabbage dish I did the other night was really good and perfect side to pork or anything really. good hot or cold
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1116019&catid=1
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    grilled fruit on a stick!

like to marinate pineapple in spiced rum and brown sugar for a few hours before grilling ;)

roasted fingerling potatoes with EVOO, sea salt and coarse ground pepper always good -- add some baby sweet peppers and garlic cloves :woohoo:
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    +1 on the tater tot casserole. I do mine without the meat and it is always the first dish to be empty.