Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egger overnight boston butt.

Options
1klrvette
1klrvette Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New egger here! I got my first egg on fathers day weekend, its awesome so far we have cooked ribeyes, clams, ribs, burgers, grilled tomatoes, romaine lettuce, plank salmon, spathcock chicken, shrimp, meatloaf, sliced potatoes with onions and wings. everything was awesome!! the wings are the only thing that could have been better, maybe cooked a little longer. So now my first overnight cook I don't have a controller (yet) I put the 10.55 lb butt on at 4:30pm I was going for 250* dome was about 235* I did get it to hold 250* for about 5 hour before I went to bed, when I woke up at 4:30am the dome was 200* and internal was 165* so I opened the bottom vent and looked for a porker (don't have one) tapped on the grate with the ash tool and nothing, so I opened the top vent and blew some air in the bottom vent and now i'm back to 240* and holding. Is it normal to drop overnight or was my fire going out?

Scott

Comments

• ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    Did an overnight cook last wekkend and the temp did drop. The butts, 2 at about 7.5 lbs each also held at 165 for some time. I put the butt on at 10:00 at around 250 and at 7am it was around 210. I bumped it up to about 250-260 and by 9:30 it had reached 195 internal. I double wrapped it in heavy duty foil put it in a cooler wrapped in towels. When I pulled it out at 1:30 it was still very hot.
    DSC00309.jpg

Pulled
    DSC00313.jpg
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Because you started at a lower temp, you had a greater chance of loosing the fire.

A fire making a dome temp of 250 doesn't go out that often, but the general recommendation is still to check every 4 hours. Sometimes the fire will burn straight down the center, leaving most of the lump unburnt. What probably happened to you was ash build up that decreased the fire. I've only ever had one fire that just plain went out.

FWIW, the lowest I've done was 180. At 5 hours, the fire died.
  • 1klrvette
    Options
    I'm holding 250 again and internal is 173 I cant wait I'm getting excited it's almost like being a kid on christmas morning. :cheer:

Scott
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Once you get the hang of it, cooking butts for PP becomes really easy. Its actually pretty hard to not get a good result. Just be patient, and let the internal temp get to at least 195. If its bone-in, you should just about be able to pull the bone out with your fingers. It should be so wobbly that it is hard to lift from the grill.

Happy eating :lol:
  • 1klrvette
    Options
    I'm having a real hard time focusing on anything except the egg and meat temp 17hrs and I'm at 181
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    I hardly slept that night.
  • 1klrvette
    Options
    OK I'm pulling and wrapping then in the cooler at 22hrs it's been 195 for about an hour.

Scott
  • 1klrvette
    Options
    does anyone sample the little bits of goodness the are stuck to the grate? oh my god
  • 1klrvette
    Options
    OK I'm pulling and wrapping then in the cooler at 22hrs it's been 195 for about an hour.

Scott
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Congrats on your first long cook. The little bits of goodness (mostly well seasoned fat) that are stuck in the Egg is a treat for the cook. Love it.

I bought a Stoker and it was one of the best things I have bought for my Egg. Now I can sleep without worrying about it.