Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help Corn on the Cob

muttin
muttin Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my LG BGE for about 2 weeks and love it tonight i am having steaks and corn on the cob for about 9 people i am looking for some advice ? with both steaks and most of all Corn on the cob i have never grilled corn on the cob before

thanks for the help

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    dont shuck it, dont take the silk hairs out, dont soak it, just cook it about 350, rotating til you just smell the corn. when you can smell the corn its actually overcooking, pull immediately, put in a cardboard box where it will stay warm for a long while and cook the steaks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Okay, cooking corn just exactly that way, what kind of time frame?
    Much appreciated.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • I usually pull the husk half way down (without removing), clean out all the hair, cover the corn back up with the husk, soak in water for ~20 minutes, and throw on the grill. Flip occasionally until the outer husk is dark brownish and you should be good to go.

I'm sure there are a thousand other ways to do it but I like that way because its so easy.
  • fishlessman
    :laugh: i dont really go by time or even temp, hotter might be better, the husk blackens and chars, maybe 10 to 15 minutes a batch which is why i like the cardboard box, drink, cook. fill the box. if you didnt peel back the husk the moisture stays in, the steam loosens the hair and wipes right of later, no water soak needed.
    fukahwee maine

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Fishlessman is right. I do it the other way.
    Pull husk and all off. Rub with oil/butter and the rub you like. Then just grill.
    photo-3.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Sometimes I soak and sometimes I don't.

I, too , am with fishlessman. Best corn you will ever eat.

Corn is an easy cook. This was 400° for 1.25 hours
    corn1_400.jpg

corn2_400.jpg

Lower temperature and shorter cook
    cornpotato.jpg

I have even put 8 ears on the mini, the corn was sticking out the the upper vent.

Happy 4th.

GG
  • fishlessman
    i might be severely underestimating times :laugh: :laugh: ive never worn a watch :) i do know that the laziest of all methods works great though. cant wait til the local corn season, gotta love the first corn
    fukahwee maine

• muttin
    so at 350 about how long to cook it? or is better to cook it at 400 and for the 1 1/2 hours ?
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Just get it warm / hot. Its good raw too.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    DIL taught me this and it works well.
    Peal back husks and remove silk, season with paprika and lime juice (I also use NM red chile powder). Put the husks back in place. Wrap in wet clean kitchen towel nuke on high for one minute (regardless of the # of ears), remove ears from towel and place on the grill. Towel get really hot so be careful.
    All you need is butter on the ears and you are ready to meet hog heaven. :woohoo:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • fishlessman
    i think hotter would be better, i think the trick is to get the ears down close to the burning lump, mine looks all burnt on the outside when its done, not like grandpas grubs.
    fukahwee maine

• I do em like Fish said - I do a simple trim on each end first so they don't take up as much room but that is not necessary. Silk falls off when you peel em.

IMG_2139800x600.jpg

IMG_7190800x600.jpg

IMG_1271800x600.jpg

Used to simply put butter but have become a fan of mayo, chili powder, and parmesean
  • muttin
    so it really take 1 1/2 to cook at about 400 and dont use the plate setter does this sound about right?

i am cooking the stuff for my inlaws :) so don't want to make a fool of my self
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Another option I got from Cook's Illustrated:
    Soak cleaned cobs in cold salt water (1cup table salt to 1 gallon water) for 30 minutes - up to 8 hr. While the steaks are resting after cooking, grill the corn on the hot Egg for about 10 minutes, turning regularly to get equal charring on all sides. Serve with the steaks.
    CI research showed that the cold salt water soak helped the kernels resist shriveling up when exposed to the heat of the grill, giving the best of both worlds - plumb, juicy kernels plus a charerd, caramelized outside.

My wife's favorite (had last night) - clean cobs, rolled in wax paper with butter and S & P. Twist the ends tight and microwave for 2 min. per cob. Easy, peasy!
  • Grandpas Grub

I don't pay much attention to the time on corn or spuds. When I read your post above the time seemed quick but I wasn't sure. I only knew the time on mine above as I put it in the photo description in Photobucket. When I read the time, I thought that seems like a long cook at that temperature. Those were done an a raised grid.

I guess I will pick up some ears and do some testing for time.

• You can go either way - with or without the PS
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    CNN had this article on their website today, very timely!
    http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/07/01/grilled-corn-101/?hpt=li_r1
    I'm trying that spread on my sweetcorn this weekend, it sounds good. It is also very close to the sauce recipe I posted here for smoked salmon, minus the lime juice.

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Grandpas Grub

I had that cook time written down but it seemed like it was a long time. The 1st 2 pictures were done on a raised grid. My gut says 30 to 60 minutes.

I prefer a 'bite/squirt' when I have corn that usually requires a shorter cook. The softer more well done will take longer.

How I cook corn or potatoes will depend on what food I am cooking. Hot cook I will put corn/spuds higher in the dome and cook longer. Lower temperature cook, I will put the corn/spuds at grid level.

For me corn/spuds are just seat of the pants cooking. Spuds I check temperature and pull at +/- 210°.

Corn, it is protected pretty well if one leaves the silk and husk alone until done cooking.

• This maybe called un - egg like but here goes.
    Peel and remove sile. Wrap in wax paper. Microwave on high adding two minutes for each ear.
    Remove wax paper.brush with oil sprinkle with rub.
    Grill partially cooked corn till done.
    The corn will be done and the steaks will be hot.
    WLL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Many thanks to everyone for all the info.
    That means corn on the cob now joins the ribs Monday!

:cheer: :cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I agree, I do it the same only difference is I cut the silks off on top so they don't burn. -RP
  • muttin
    Thanks for all te help just cooked the corn. Used plate setter cooked at 400 for 45 min and was a hit I didn't soak just put in on