Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bernzomatic

Options
toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my buddy had this at his houose this wknd. I used it to light my egg.

Took a minute to get the lump going. Needless to say I went to Lowes the very next day to get it. Only like $30 and so worth it

http://www.bernzomatic.com/quickfire-hand-torch.aspx

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have both the blue hand held propane & yellow MAPP gas torch....both work great...I prefer MAPP as it burns hotter. The replacement canisters are $3-$4 and they last several months with frequent usage... :)
  • meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    Options
    So I use the older model torch and it works pretty well, but does that new torch work slightly upside down, that is my main problem with the torch is holding it upside down to light my grill it goes out several times. If this thing will work upside down I am in. Also what kind of fuel cylinder does it need i Have like 3 or 4 cannisters of the fuel under the sink ready for grilling and don't want to waste it.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    30$?????? THAT IS CHEAP for that torch.. wow
  • toomsdpt
    Options
    I actually got it Lowes for $25 I think. Website has it at $25.97
  • toomsdpt
    Options
    I actually got it Lowes for $25 I think. Website has it at $25.97
  • UofMontanaAlum
    Options
    A good friend of mine gave me that torch for helping him with a BBQ comp. I had used a standard MAPP gas torch with BBQ Guru "golf club" attachment for over a year and swore by that setup. ... Until I got the Quickfire. The MAPP/Club combo would require about 4-5 minutes to get a decent fire started. With the Quickfire, I can get my lump going in 20 seconds and get a red hot center in less than a minute. I've gone from taking 10-12 minutes to get my LBGE to 500 down to less than 5 minutes. And yes, it works great at any angle, even upside down. I can't say enough about it, it's awesome!
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    I looked on Lowes.com and couldnt find it. I buy Bernzomatic thru work and that torch my COST is close to 60$ why I wondered casue if they screwed up and have them on sale for that Ill take a few DOZEN to Re-Sell lol.

Great find for sure.

BZ9400QFKC_inpack_lg.jpg
  • roughinmill
    Options
    I headed to Lowes yesterday after I read this post, B) I need one.....found it and it wasss $60 :ohmy: not $25. :) I almost dropped the package when I saw the price, :woohoo: I'll look online but til then I will stick to the old bottle setup. :S
  • bryansj
    bryansj Posts: 79
    Options
    I use this weed burner.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309538317&sr=8-1

Keeps the sparks off and I don't have to worry about it being upside-down and going out.
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    Options
    bryansj wrote:
    I use this weed burner.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309538317&sr=8-1

Keeps the sparks off and I don't have to worry about it being upside-down and going out.

This is exactly what I use. Wish it was a little hotter but it is REALLY easy to use.
  • sjmh
    sjmh Posts: 13
    Options
    Just as a side note ( because I myself was really confused about this 2 months ago when I was looking for my torch ), nothing you get nowadays is truly MAPP.

MAPP gas was trademarked by Petromont and their last factory in North America shutdown in 2008.

The 'MAPP' you see by Bernzomatic is actually 'Max Powered Propylene' ( sometimes you'll see it as MAP-PRO ) and does not actually burn as hot as MAPP did.

The QuickFire torch burns at 3,600 degrees Fahrenheit, where as normal propane burns at 3,450. I'm not sure where they get off on saying it burns at 20% hotter though ( those numbers come from Bernzomatic's website.. )

The 'swirl' feature is actually supposed to increase the quickness with which it solders at tho. Whether that helps in lighting charcoal, who knows.

You can actually buy the Bernzomatic oxy/mapp setup OX2550KC, which burns much hotter, but the oxygen tank is rather short-lived.

I'd probably recommend either going with the BZ8250HT Trigger-Start Hose Torch (BZ8250HT), which has the 'swirl' functionality or with the nozzle bryansj recommended. Although, just be forewarned, the Amazon description for the nozzle states that it can use MAPP gas, while the Bernzomatic website specifies it is a propane torch only. YMMV.

Hope this helps!