Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Rusty Daisy Wheel?

edited 5:38PM in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any suggestions to prevent this? It only happens with my Mini Daisy Wheel not the Large. I always keep it inside the egg with the green topper on to cool it down.

Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY

• Morro Bay RichMorro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    High temp engine paint from your local auto parts store.
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    a little pam spray every now and then. mine sometimes gets that way since most of my mini cooks are higher temps
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,392
    or what I have done a time or two over the years is a high temp spray paint made specifically for BBQ grills. It works!
    Dunlap, IL
  • So paint it then keep some spray Pam on it every now and then? Any way to remove the rust without painting?
  • AvocadosAvocados Posts: 465
    You can take it apart, clean it up with a wire brush, then lightly coat it with oil and cure it like you would a cast iron skillet or dutch oven. Flax seed oil works really well on cast iron. ;)
    If you paint it you won't need the pam spray but you will need to repaint every so often. I treat it like I do my CI pans and just try to keep it seasoned.
  • Wonder what you'd clean it with to get current rust off? Then I'd just do as you say. This may sound stupid but a friend of mine told me to soak it in Coke and it would remove all the rust. ?????
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 4,034
    Keep it in your Large.LOL
    You Mini, I bet, is used for higher temp cooks and it burns of the seasoning.
    Also storing in your large after low and slow cooks will add a greasy coating to stop it from rusting.
    Thank you,

Galveston Texas
    I just hit it with a wire brush it doesn't have to be spotless
  • transversaltransversal Posts: 719
  • Thanks a lot to those who posted! I'm gonna try the wire brush first.
  • tacodawgtacodawg Posts: 335
    Maybe it is just lonely because you use the large..and wants more attention. If you use the large more that could explain it too
  • frankie482frankie482 Posts: 254
    This also happens to my mini DFMT but not too my large.

My mini seems to be alot more moist inside when not in use.

Condensation forms on the DFMT when stored in the mini so I started keeping it in the large .
  • frankie482frankie482 Posts: 254
  • I agree with that. I actually have seen the condensation and one time I actually had a little mold.