Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Abes last cast

2»

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    So sorry for your loss.......I know the pain you're going through and how painful it was to finally say goodbye. He was such a beautiful dog and, I'm sure, a beloved part of your family.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    i feel for ya.. i had dog that was definitely the best "person"..i ever met.... when she died.....i cried for days.... i cried more for that dog than any human..... i still miss her very much...... rr
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    thanks everyone for your support, i dont think i have it in me right now to address everyone individually but i do want everyone to know how much i appreciate it. this never seems to get easier and i know how quiet the house will be tonight
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    So sorry. I know that feeling all too well.... Your pictures are a wonderful tribute to him. Hang in there.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Thanking us is not necessary, this is just how friends support friends. I just wish I was close enough to get a 6 pack and bring it to toast his memory.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Mike, so sorry for your loss. I know the pain of losing a friend and companion and know how much Abe meant to you by all your previous posts and the care that you have given him. I'm sure the the quality of his life could not of been better because of the bond you two shared.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

So sorry to hear the news fishless, it's one of the most difficult of times. :(

Blair
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    sooo sorry for your loss!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Eyes get all wet when I hear of a pet passing on. Abe led a pretty good life with you.

My heartfelt sorry isn't ever going to be enough but, I am sorry for your loss.

Carey
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Your best friend. Unwavering companion, devoted and faithful. Abe had a very good life, you gave that to him. A shared understanding.
    Take care during this time of loss.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Sorry bought your friend Fishlessman, its not an easy thing to deal with.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Condolences, man. A buddy like that, I know you will miss.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Mike:

Got tears in my eyes again. I feel for you, My Friend. We will miss seeing him in your pics, but you shared him with us, and for that we are thankful. I know he will remain in your heart forever.

Deep breaths and tears, Buddy.

Take care.

Mike
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Really sorry Fishless. I had to do the same diet switch when Blaze was done, pancreatic cancer. Never easy, but know the Rainbow Bridge is where we shall all meet again.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Very sorry for your loss.
    It's really tough to see your pup go.
    Looks like he had all the best
    I am near the end with my Raine, not easy at all

Shane
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Really sorry for your loss.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Fish, now you've gone and done it.....you've got me crying. :( I am so sorry you lost your best buddy. Although I enjoy your cooking posts (and OT posts, lol), I always got a special smile when you posted pics of Abe out on the water. He was a top dog!
  • U2
    U2 Posts: 27
    So Sad to lose a Great Friend--My condolences--He looked like a fantastic Dog
  • Sorry for the loss of your friend.I have been threw that 3 times myself in the last two years
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Bummer! :( Pretty pup.Sorry man. :(
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    So sorry for your loss....a huge void at your house right now. Prayers said for you and yours. :)
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Sorry for your loss, fishless........been thru it many times in my life....never easy.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Fish, I am so sorry for your loss, it is really hard to lose a trusted friend and companion. Been and do that too many times.

The Creation
    When God had made the earth and sky

the flowers and the trees,

He then made all the animals 

the fish, the birds and bees.

And when at last He'd finished

not one was quite the same.

He said, "I'll walk this world of mine 

and give each one a name."

And so He traveled far and wide 

and everywhere He went,

a little creature followed Him

until it's strength was spent.

When all were named upon the earth

and in the sky and sea,

the little creature said, "Dear Lord,

there's not one left for me."

Kindly the Father said to him,

"I've left you to the end.

I've turned my own name back to front

and called you dog, My friend."
    Author Unknown
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Fish,

I'm happy as hell for your long wonderful life with your best friend. and sad as hell for your loss. :unsure: So many good times and you have been great with documenting through time. Cheers to both of you. :)
  • Fish,
    Please tell us the story of the pic with Abe and the brown paper bag over his head at the Ice Fishing Hole ;)
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I'm sure he enjoyed his last few days with you, which is why he made it to the dock....Sorry to here about the loss, but take solace in the fact that you were a good friend to him.

Chris
  • Wilco76
    Wilco76 Posts: 18
    Man's best friend...sorry for your loss. Looks like you have some good memories with him and were able to capture those on film. Makes me want to take a picture this afternoon!
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Thanks for sharing that with us, it's very good. Hopefully true.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Oh man, how sorry I am for the loss of your pal. Sounds like he was a real character and a great companion. You sent him off well, and honor him with this post.

Rest well Abe...