Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just ordered my BBQ Guru!

Options
jbenny
jbenny Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got to use this weekend as an excuse since I'll be smoking saturday night and all day sunday, my wife said yes!

Any tips I should know about?

Comments

• DocSmoke
    DocSmoke Posts: 6
    Options
    From one Katy person to another, welcome to the joy of using the BBQ Guru!. I have used mine for almost a year and just can't imagine being without it anymore.

Doc
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Use the damper on the fan motor. On my 10 cfm fan they suggest closing it down by 2/3rds. This has worked fine. I only run it wide open when I'm trying to give the coals a boost.
    You're going to love it.
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, it's getting a test this weekend with a 2 15# briskets for sunday and a 12# pork butt for monday.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Sounds like the makings for feeding an army.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    that must be something new since I bought my Guru and 10 cfm fan 8 years ago. For a while my slide vent would close by gravity so I just bent it so it was hard to move. As for closing it partially I don't at all - in my way of thinking the guru is calling for air to adjust the temp so what's the advantage if it comes up quicker being 100% open or take longer when it's blasting at 100% power but the vent passage is choked down 2/3rd? The motor is working harder and longer when air is choked.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Ron, the difference is the amount of air that can flow through the cooker when the blower is not running. Depending on how much air leaks through the gasket and how you have the top vent sent, air is going to flow through the cooker when the fan is off. If it is too much air, the temp will rise and there is nothing the guru can do to bring it down. So, it depends on your individual cooker and vent settings. I usually use it 1/2 way on a low slow cook.
    The Naked Whiz