Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Help - Rookie

Options
EggLuver
EggLuver Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm pretty inexperienced in the Boston Butt department. I was hoping to be having pulled pork for dinner around 8:00-8:30 this evening and it's starting to look like I may be headed to KFC instead!!

The butt has been on for exactly 8 hrs and 53 min. right now. The Egg has done great and stayed steady at 235-245 degrees the whole time. Problem is this "plateau" thing is killing me. The meat has be sitting on 159 for what seems like forever now and is still not going up!!

Can anyone make an good guess about how much longer I might be looking at? My parents are planning to come over for dinner at 8:00 and I KNOW it won't be ready by then. Should I plan to go ahead and get some fried chicken??

Oh yeah, almost forget to tell you that it is only a 4.17 lb butt. I thought it would be done in about 8 or 9 hours.

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    KICK UP the temperature! Quick!
    It will be fine, but you have to raise the temp here at the end.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    foil it and bump the temp to 350 then hope for the best
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    OK, so Poolman has 8,000 posts on me, but no matter, crank the temp up and you will be fine....
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• FlaPoolman
    Options
    yea but those are all picking on Steve :evil: :laugh:
    your the one with the great cooking pics
  • EggLuver
    Options
    Ok guys, I'll raise the temp, but... I really don't have a problem with just eating chicken tonight and having the pork tomorrow for lunch. I don't want to take the chance that I'll mess it up here at the end after waiting so patiently all day.

What would be the BEST thing to do? Try to rush it, or just leave it alone? I've heard that you really shouldn't even open the Egg till it at least gets to 190.

What do you think?
  • EggLuver
    Options
    By the way, it is staring to move a little. At 161 degrees right now, after 9 hours and 18 minutes.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    your call on the chicken but bumping the temp won't hurt it foiling or not. It's already 8:15 here :ermm:
  • EggLuver
    Options
    Ok, dome is at 248 and butt is on 163 now. I think it may be moving past the plateau phase. I'm good with eating around 9:00, which is about 35 minutes from now. What are my chances of getting to 190 in the next half hour???
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    my guess is 1 1/2 2 hours left even at higher temps
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Go to plan B, which I hope does not have to be egged!

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Stall the parents. "just eating chicken" does not cut it when you have been smelling smoke all day!!

• EggLuver
    Options
    Egg temp = 269
    Butt temp = 168
    10 hour cook so far!
    Good grief!!! Live and learn!
  • doubleapex
    doubleapex Posts: 82
    Options
    1.5 TO 2hrs per pound I think is the going rule of thumb for pork shoulder...but I've also heard, each butt will always cook slightly differently. No expert...just what I've heard.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Next time you cook one, stay at 250 dome at least. You wouldn't believe the problems that cooking below 250 have caused. The 1.5 to 2 hrs per pound is based off of a 250 dome temp I do believe. 8 hours at 230 for instance instead of 250 could easily add a few hours to your overall cook time. Your at least two hours away from now.
  • EggLuver
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Had KFC for dinner at 10:00 tonight!!! Currently the Egg is at 258 and the pork just now hit 190. It has been cooking for 13.5 hours and it is just over 4lbs!!! I'm going to let it get to about 195. Guess I'll be up a little longer waiting for it.

Next time I'll keep it at 250 from the start!
  • 1klrvette
    1klrvette Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm starting my first try at a boston butt today, it's 10.55lbs I was going to allow 24hr I may need to start it now for 5PM tomorrow

Scott