Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie table, finish pics added

Options
mxdad
mxdad Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I picked up my first egg last weekend and have started a new table for it. Hope to cut the hole in the top, sand and put on first coat of Spar tonight. The plan is to have the Egg in the table no later than Saturday morning. Here is my progress, keep in mind I am far from being a woodworker, usually I get in to much of a hurry and the results are a disaster.
I am much more at home working on my sons MX bikes in this shop than building out of wood but the egg inspired me. One of his 450s is sitting in the background luckily he had the other two with him so I had more room to make a mess

The table turned out to be 36X69.I built the frame using pressure treated 2X4 and 4X4. I am using Cedar for the decking on the top, bottom shelf and shelf that Egg sits on. My wife sells granite so we had a a piece lying around that was 36X38 with bullnose on three sides. So we designed the table to utilize the freebie.

The frame is done, maybe a little over engineering on the frame LOL. I used wood glue, Carriage bolts and wood 2 1/2 deck screws at each joint.

3fce0328.jpg

I put on 3" casters so that I can move it around a little if the need arises. Yep the carriage bolts are a little long. I have had those in my shop from another project and decided to utilize them on this. A hack saw will shorten them up easily.

68c87c71.jpg

Here the frame is pretty much complete. I had some scrape cedar tongue and grove that I thought about using on this but since it was varying widths I decided it would be more trouble than it was worth. So I purchased 1X8 cedar to use instead. In this pic the frame is mostly complete
28ee43f2.jpg

I put the granite on for size and to use to get a better measurement for the cedar on the other end. We went back and forth over using Granite for the entire top.Since we had not drops lying around that would give me the length I wanted I decided to go with free rather than pay for a new slab. The other issue was that I would have to get one of our installers to do the egg cut out as I don't do granite LOL. I also liked the idea of combining the two materials
e35771e7.jpg

The cedar is all on and yes it was a more than one beer project so far
3280521c.jpg

The only thing I am not really happy with so far is the gaps in front of the 4X4s where I notched the Cedar, I am sure a good wood worker would have saw that look coming and taken into account for it in the design phase LOL. My remedy will be to face the 4X4s with a 2X4 on the front and back to fill in those gaps. I will do the same on the vertical 2X4 in the middle that is the support for the egg shelf.I will also have to do a little planning of the 1X8s so they meet up smoothly with the granite bullnose on the front and back.
98315292.jpg

I still have a little work left to go but will hopefully get everything complete tonight and the first coat of Spar. Will post some more pics of the finished product.

Comments