Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Free Gasket

Hic
Hic Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Kamado Joe's Facebook page was offering free gaskets to all BGE owners. I received my email response today and they are going to be sending me one for my large. I figure it's worth a try. I did see that they are getting back logged with requests.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    In case you were wondering, Barbecues Galore in Australia dropped BGE and started selling Kamado Joe. I think they were about the only source of BGE in Australia. Kamado Joe has been providing gaskets in Australia to BGE owners who have been left out in the cold to a certain extent as to getting parts. I signed up for one as I need a new gasket for my medium and I'm all out of the good quality felt gaskets that BGE used to provide.
    The Naked Whiz
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I'm getting one also. I applaud Kamado Joe for doing this. BGE Corp. knows this has been a problem, but ignores it. Kamado Joe just won a fan here. I love my Big Green Egg, but it is good to see companies with great customer service out there like KJ who reach out like this. It is a great marketing technique that might win them some customers down the road.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I sent an email to them asking for a free gasket and got a response less than 5 minutes after I sent the request. I'm impressed.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Interesting advertising strategy. I wonder how well the adhesive would hold up.

GG
  • The Naked Whiz
    I've been told some Egger's have had them installed for about 2 years w/o them pulling loose. WE'll see....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Do you have to add them as a friend? I don't see anything on their page about a free gasket. Maybe cuz I'm checking on my phone? Guess I'll log into the computer and look when I get home.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Grandpas Grub

I just contacted their service and got an email back within 15 minutes.

• I have one on the way. The impression I got is that they are creating a new batch of replacement gaskets for the BGE that they could ultimately sell. So maybe older ones from KJ that people put on BGE required a little cut to the length or something.

The KJs are really nice and I have seen them at Pike Nursery around ATL. If I remember it was a really thick felt gasket. This is an awfully nice gesture for what will surely be a limited time. If the gasket works great, then awesome! If not, it was free.

The other thing I think we should all do is avoid any negativity or other sentiment towards the company that is not providing free gaskets because of this offering. Companies have different strategies and goals at different times in their life cycle and we should leave it at that.
  • removed double post - net hiccup
  • The Naked Whiz
    I was told these are for the BGE. They were producing these for the BGE owners in Australia that got left behind when BBQs Galore dropped the Egg. They decided to try this as a little promotion in the US. I don't know where it is headed, if anywhere at all. For now, they are just giving out some via the FB page.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    I did end up "liking" them but on a few of the posts they gave the guys email address to contact, so I just emailed him. If you can't find it, let me know. I have it on my computer @ home and can retrieve for you tonight.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• I just emailed Derald at:

derald.schultz@kamadojoe.com

He is very nice and responded in a matter of minutes. Said my gasket would arrive in couple weeks.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    It's a very nice gesture. I'm on the list to get new gaskets when the new batch arrives.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Just got an e-mail back from Derald. Mine will be shipping in a few weeks. :)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    WOOHOO....I'm on the list for one. :woohoo:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Grandpas Grub

The BGE felt works well, the continuing problem, for me anyway, is the adhesive membrane used on the felt gaskets.

Thicker/thinner felt may or may not be and advantage. The BGE hinge is designed to deal with the thickness of the BGE felt/Nomex.

I talked with customer service about the replacement gaskets and was told cooking 2/3 times a week the gasket should last 1 to 2 years.

These 'gift' gaskets will ship in about 2 weeks as soon as the shipment arrives from China.