Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wood Recommendation

kywaterfowlerkywaterfowler Posts: 24
edited 12:05AM in EGG Table Forum
I am getting a new large BGE soon and I want to build a table for it. What type of wood is best to use for making the table out of. I have seen quite a few made out of cedar and I like the look of cedar. Is it really just personal preference and how much sealer you put on it, or are certain woods better then others.
·

Comments

• Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Welcome Aboard kywaterfowler, I;m going to guess you are in far western Ky, right?
    Cypress is maybe the best wood for a table because of its rot resistance, cedar is probably a close second.
    Many other woods are used, but those are probably the most popular.
    I would suggest using a marine grade polyurethane spar varnish for the finish rather than just a sealer. Min-Wax "Helmsman" brand is a good one and is available at most hardwares and home centers.
    Hope this helps a little :)
    ·
  • ngilbe1ngilbe1 Posts: 1
    Has anyone thought of using Ipe wood for their table? It is hard lumber that is used for decking.
    ·
  • I was also wondering if anyone has ever used the Trex stuff to make a table.
    ·
  • BB1857BB1857 Posts: 131
    Ky- I read somewhere that the Trex stuff is not a good idea because it is not flame resistant. I was thinking about using it for my table but I saw that and opted to use plain old pressure treated deck board. Nothing fancy but it kept the cost way down.
    ·
  • Yep I did some research too and found the ignition temp is low. I guess once I get my BGE I will either build one out of cedar or redwood.
    ·
  • PhotoProPhotoPro Posts: 47
    Not only is the ignition point low, but the cost id sky high. You would double your costs going with a Trex type product.
    ·