Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on the Egg

Options
fasteddiem
fasteddiem Posts: 212
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I make pizza every day at my family's Pizzeria but decided to give it a go on the Egg...Per the advice of the forum I found some large nuts to place on my platesetter to create an air gap for the pizza stone to sit on...
b5989d54.jpg
Used my homemade pizza dough with homemade sauce (thanks Jamie Oliver) and topped with fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, sun dried tomatoes, and olive oil to finish...63cd4c15.jpgce946eb8.jpg
Unfortunately there are no finished pictures of the pizza as it looked so good I couldn't wait to eat it! I cook every day on a conveyer pizza oven...I can say that this is better than those and reminiscent of the old deck ovens we used to cook on! I loved the taste that cooking with the charcoal provided. Many more pizzas to come!

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    OK, now you have done it! I am going to the fridge on my way to bed :laugh: That is a really good looking pizza. f you like Jamie's sauce try Alex G's from the food network.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • TheHandleGuy
    Options
    Yup there is something fun and special about making pizza on the egg. We recently had a get together at a local buddies house and all we did was cook pizza on the eggs and drink beer. What a great time...

By the way, very nice job!

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Why don't you try putting the plate setter with legs up and the the cooking grid and the baking stone on top of the grid? I'm not sure why everyone wants to put something under the baking stone to make an air gap when the plate setter when in the right position does a great job.

That pizza looks awesome though.
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    That looks good uncooked. I love the prosciutto!!!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Bobby, it has been my experience that when you put the legs up, 2 things happen. One, the flat surface of the setter is 3 inches closer to the burning coal. When firing at pizza temps, I always have flames, & those flames hit underneath the setter then roll up & over the top. Two, with the very large air gap between the setter and the stone, those flames curl up & come in direct contact with the bottom of the stone. This has invariably led to inconsistencies in the temperature of the stone (in my egg that means the back right portion). To counter this, I have to spin the pizza several times to be sure it’s cooked evenly on the bottom. Opening the egg during a pie cook of course inhibits proper top down radiant finishing.

Legs down solves this problem for the same 2 reasons in reverse. The flat under-surface of the setter is now 3 inches further from the flames, & those flames that still roll up & over the setter are directed up along the edges of the dome as there isn’t enough room for them to curl up under the stone given that the gap is only a ½ inch or so. This has given me a more consistently even cooking temp on the surface of the stone with less necessity to spin the pie during cooking
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Mightyfine FE - Bet your Little Buddy (Junior Judge and Egger-In-Training) approved
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Great looking pie, even if we didn't get to see a final pic.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Waiting for that baby!!!!!!
    Judy in San Diego
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Options
    Judy,

She is scheduled to arrive next Friday! It is amazing how 9 months flies by! Thanks for remembering and I'll make sure to post pictures next weekend!

Regards,

Eddie