Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Egg

brownbw
brownbw Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would really like to get a 2nd egg (Own a large now). Which one would you go with? I do a lot of tailgating, so the large is somewhat impractical. I also live alone, so I am thinking the small or mini.

Also what do you tailgate with? What are some ways you move your egg to your tailgating spot (if you use it).
Opelika, AL

Comments

• I would go with the small. I had a small for my first egg and loved it. I traded it for a meduim some time ago and miss the portablility of the small. The medium can be transported, but it's somewhat difficult, especially by yourself. The mini in my opinion is a great little cooker, but the flexibility and grid space of the small I think would be a much better choice for your second egg.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    War Damn Eagle!!!!

We have the large, small & mini...the majority of our cooks at home are on the small. The small and mini travel easily. Search the forum for Egg carriers. They are easy to make (my wife made ours) and are great for tailgating & camping....
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    (my wife made ours) :whistle: we are learning this more and more Kim......
  • Mainegg
    small with a carrier is the way to go :) love our mini but you can do a small butt on the small and have a bit more space for indirect :)
    MATTISONREUNION2093Small.jpg
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    You saw me cook this weekend...didn't you???? LOL ;):)
  • Mainegg
    trying to remember....... hmmm....... ummmm....... i did see Ginny stirring something....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    no question about it - a small!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I have the BGE and a small; the BGE is in a table and the small on the the nest; easy to move around; I like doing "hibachi" outside, grilling some skewers(meat or seafood) right on the small next to the table
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I recently debated between the small and the mini. I chose the small, but I do zero tailgating. So far I am very pleased with the small. Tailgating... hmmmm... might have gone with the mini.

Of course, I hear whichever one chooses the other is soon to follow. :laugh:
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    I was recently in a similar predicament as you... with a large, and looking at either a small or mini.

I wanted the small, my wife wanted the mini.

We got the mini. lol

Of course, I only agreed to that with the stipulation that if I wasn't happy with the mini, that we'll get a small as well, a risk she was willing to take.

So far, though, the mini has worked out great. I've only done a couple of cooks on it, but happy with the results so far.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    This is my travel system. Small and Mini.
    The PVC legs pull from bottom and it slides right into the back of my little Subaru Outback.

I agree with Mainegg. Small gives you more options.

001.jpg

004.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Have both - if I had to shoose between them, I would get the small

Another Egg carrier
    IMG_3522800x600.jpg

IMG_1517800x600.jpg

IMG_1513800x600.jpg
  • Count me as a Large & Mini owner. Love love love my Mini; I light it at least 4X more often than my Large. I have a two-person household, so the Mini rocks for a quick, weeknight grill. The Mini will hold two steaks (not huge ones, but an appropriately sized serving of red meat), or a couple of chix breasts, or a dozen wings, or an 8" pizza, or a couple of burgers, etc. It lights & heats up quickly, so you're making efficient use of charcoal.

I haven't transported it for offsite cooking, but after seeing Beli's recent post with an Igloo Cube cooler as Mini carrier, I just might take it someplace soon.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I went with a second large, but we have 4 people living here and do most of our cooking outside.

If I was single and portability was an issue, I would look at a small.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • The small is perfect for tailgating, and it fits almost twice as much food as the mini. (I have both and have recently started taking the small with me, instead of the mini.) Just remove the innards and wrap them up in some towels, then the small is easy to move from place to place.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • wmd36
    wmd36 Posts: 58
    I have a large and bought a small for a secong EGG. Its great for one or two people and easily transportable. I think a large and small is the ideal set up
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    My vote is for the medium (ok, you didnt ask that :laugh: ). I have both and I would say small. The mini is a grill, and a tiny one at that. The small can hold more and go longer. Actually, for tailgating I would just recommend a weber kettle or a big steel keg. Easier to transport, and the kettle is way cheaper, and the BSK can be had for nearly the cost of a small around here. Not a popular answer I am sure, but all cookers dont have to be green ;) .
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I have large/small combo and it works great for me. I cook for one most of the time, so most of my cooks are on the small. I get two or three meals out of a spatchcock chicken and have to freeze leftovers from a low and slow 8# pork butt. I fire up the large for entertaining. It all works out very nicely.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.