Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Advice Desperately Needed

Devil'D Egg
Devil'D Egg Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need advise on how to preserve moisture in brisket. I plan on cooking a 10 – 12 pound brisket for a local outdoor event, “Symphony on the Prairie”. Ten close friends and another couple of thousand neighbors are going to listen to an orchestra play on the July 4th weekend, culminating with fireworks (we haven’t picked the day, waiting on the latest weather forecast to determine).

At the end of the cook, I plan on double wrapping the brisket in foil and place in a cooler. Normally I would slice the brisket prior to serving. Since we are going to be at a large event and have to carry everything into the event, I’m reluctant to slice the brisket at the event.

So the question is; will slicing the brisket and rewrapping in foil and placing in the cooler result in the brisket drying out? Suggestions on how long after the initial rest period should I slice and what would be the maximum time between slicing and serving?

Although we will stake out a 15’ X 15’ area for our group, we will be in tight quarters. Hence the reluctance to take cutting board, knives, etc.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Yes, slicing before resting will give you a drier product, you need time for the juices to equalize within the muscle. Even though the bark will suffer, I prefer resting mine with the fat cap up, so the meat is in contact with the foil juices (I add a jazzed up broth to the foil before wrapping).

Briskets like a long rest. I routinely go longer than 2 hours, and 4 is not a problem. I try to slice them at the last possible minute. In a serving line, we put brisket last and slice right in front of the guest.

Since you mentioned tight quarters, and wanting to avoid cutting boards, knives, etc., one other thing about a brisket is the amount of waste. You will have more foil juice than you will use, and there is a lot of fat to be trimmed away before slicing, and some folks will have some trim remaining on their plates. So I guess I'm saying to plan on a lot of garbage.

I'm wondering if a change in plans might work better. Something like a boneless pork loin might be something to look at. Although I would still prfer to slice it on site, a pre-sliced loin will present better than a pre-sliced brisket. And they have almost no waste.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I'd do a pork butt. that you can pull by hand when ready to eat. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I do this a lot at other events and what I do is let the brisket rest about an hour if you have the time in a preheated cooler. Then take it out and clean all the excess fat and slice as you would normally. Re wrap in double foil. Add about a cup of some kind of juice, apple juice with some worcestershire and soy is good.Then wrap in plastic wrap to prevent leaking. Wrap in towels and place back in the cooler. If you work fast you shouldn't loose too much heat and it will be good for about 3 hours or so.
    Kenny
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    I normally do the same, leave it fat side up with about a cup or 2 of kicked up beef broth. The meat will soak up some of the juice and also sort of steam in the foil.
  • Thanks for the advice, I've been debating whether brisket is the correct choice this event. I do a nice apricot and pecan stuff pork loin, but I am thinking this is too formal. If I bail from the brisket, then pull pork is the next choice.
  • Thanks, tjv if I change, then pork butt will be the choice. I've never cooked one, so a new experience.
  • Thanks Kenny for the suggestion. This is along the line that I was thinking of proceeding. Next step is to discuss with the couple that I am hosting with and see what the preference is.
  • Brisket30, thanks for the insight. Sounds like the concensus is to add beef broth or apple juice base mixture so the meat while it rests.
  • Third Eye, I spoke with the other couple and our party has dropped to 8, so perhaps a change may be best. You mentioned a pork loin, do you have a recommendation on preparing the pork loin? I think it still will need to rest in a cooler for up to four hours before slicing.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    You have mail.
  • That is great that the number of people is smaller. Gives you a few choices.

In the past, I used to always be cooking my brisket when the guests arrived, so I changed plans and leave myself a big pad. When the brisket is done, I put it(wrapped in foil and towels) in the ice chest next to a big pan of boiling water (sitting on a towel). This keeps the humidity in the ice chest so high that nothing can dry out. It has worked great for me.

And I agree with everything thirdeye has said. He rocks!

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    The cooking part is pretty straight forward, roasting temps of 300° to 350° will work with either an indirect or raised grate for the set-up. I wouldn't take the internal any higher than 145°, and if you are still going to pre slice, let it rest before slicing.

I've always brined my loins, and lately I've been mixing a Lite Brine and injecting some of it before submerging the loin roasts in it. Brine time when using the injection is 2 hours, followed by a 2 hour rest in the fridge before cooking.

Lite Brine:

1 quart of water
    0.875 ounces of salt (7/8 of an ounce)
    1 teaspoon (minimum) of brown or maple sugar

On another note, check out this recipe.

DSC07254b2.jpg

It uses pork tenderloin and the best thing is it can be served chilled. So this could be prepared and sliced the day before, will easily keep in your cooler. All you need for serving would be a container of the sauce, sesame seeds and some paper plates.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/03/plum-pork.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Finally made a decision. I am going to prepare the Plum Pork. I really like the versatility of the Plum Pork. I'm starting the preparation today.