Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two days of cookin'

HolySmokes
HolySmokes Posts: 446
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two picnics, (11lbs) resting and warming up on the counter after two days in the fridge, foodsavered with rubz and sauce:[p]wpp050412a.JPG[p]Egg gets a new load of lump and the guru club gets it going:[p]wpp050412a2.JPG[p]The pork goes on with things warming up nicely; a couple big chunks of mesquite and a pile of plum chips around the edges:[p]wpp050412b.JPG[p]We take a peek at 220 grid temp with the guru set up to take us overnight; things are going nicely after 8 hours:[p]wpp050412d.JPG[p]and the next morning, after bumping the grid temp to 235 and waiting
for the pork to go through 195, they're definitely ready![p]wpp050412e.JPG[p]These were some great picnics too... no additives, a good sale from Top Food, I picked up another round during the sale that are in the freezer for next time. The rest is history. 'Couple hours resting, pork pulled and a tad more rub added... dinner for six, lunch and leftovers![p]Eggin is the best! HS

Comments

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes,
    ok, so here's the first of the two days...
    ABT's for appetizers... figured out that a piping bag is a great way to fill abt's with cream cheese.[p]w050206ABT.jpg[p]Then I find out how good GUAVA wood is! Pork chops with a couple nice chunks of guava thanks to the lists Greg Kemp from Hawaii. Wonderful. If you can't smell 'em, it must be my smell'o'web aint workin'... 'cause dang! That's some good stuff.[p]w0401chops.jpg[p]all best,
    HS

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    HolySmokes, Looks real good, but they look more like butts than picnics. Didja skinnum? 8^/

• HolySmokes,[p]I just used my guava wood for the first time taday as well. I did my first ABT's, those were great. For the main course I Spatchcocked a 3.5# yard bird @ 350 dome. WOW oh WOW is that a great flavor! Thanks again to Greg... I had no Idea how good things could get that much better![p]Joe

• HolySmokes
    sigmore,
    no, that's the way they came, which
    was part of why they were a good deal... :) HS

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    HolySmokes,[p]is seeing all the dang pics. Dude, now I want pulled pork and can't have it.[p]What is next?[p]Looks good my friend.[p]Please no lobster pics. No way can I get those,[p]Mike
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    HolySmokes,[p]I'll second CWM on that one!![p]Thoes are a couple fine looking Picnics!![p]Sorta "Brothers in Pork"...so to speak!![p]Leftovers may be shipped to my address!![p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • HolySmokes
    Eggecutioner,
    is that '3.5# yard bird' from your 'yard'? We've been considering doing chickens,
    mostly for eggs, but that'd be an interesting way to go about it.
    HS

• HolySmokes,[p]No, not from my yard, she was from the butcher. The farmer down the road raises them. His tend to get too big too quick for me. They mostly end up as roasters not fryers.[p]Joe