Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

timely holiday poll, when do you cheese 'em

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did burgers and brats last night, well actually needed cheeseburgers. While the burgers grilled I thought, the cheese slices are gonna be way bigger than the burgers. Next thought was, if I put the cheese on the grilling burgers, I'm gonna end up with a cheesy grill mess. That did not excite me, can't brush off cheese easily.

xlwoo2burgers.jpg

Since, both hands were busy, one holding a cold beer, the other a turner, I had no way to make cheese slice modifications. Grilling at 102 outdoor temp, I'm not letting go of the cold one(s). My third thought was: I wonder how or when other folks make the change.....burger to cheeseburger. After serious contemplation and couple beer swigs, I concluded my options are:
A. add cheese on the grill and deal with the mess,
B. add cheese when I pull the burgers and hope it melts, or
C. add cheese when building the burger and it won't melt.

So, went plan B, when I pulled and plated the burgers I dropped on the cheese and foiled, letting the trapped burger heat melt the cheese. Here is how the cheeseburgers ended up.......well the lone leftover, the others looked just like it

xlwoo2burgers1.jpg

So when do you cheese............

t
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Here is a good answer...it depends....and yes I have done all 3... :);)

Have a great 4th of July!!!!
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    I too have done all three. If I think about it ahead of time, I'll make it a juicy lucy... e.g. two thin patties sandwhiched around a glob of cheese. Really good ;)
  • mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    Options
    I have doe all of them as well, the important thing is that you don't drop the beer and it seems like you have a handle on that one.
    Here is what I usually do when the burgers are ready for the cheese I take them off the grill an place them on a aluminum platter, tray etc. I usually use one of the disposable aluminum trays so I dont have to worry about cleaning it later. Put cheese on burgers and place the tray back on the grill with top down for a minute or so to melt the cheese. You get the melt you want with no cheesy mess on your grate. With the egg doing this is best in my opinion because it assures that non of the cheese will drip down on the coals since you will most likely be using the coals on another cook.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    maybe the problem is with the orange cheese :laugh: ive never ever used that. ;) bigger burgers, cabots cheddar, pile of blue cheese, orange cheese never leaves the deli up here :laugh: this works, helps to trap the cheese

88641236.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Juicy Lucy

A possible option. Neighbors might think a little different.

thumbnailCA2CMS5X.jpg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    use a smaller piece of cheese........
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've escaped this quandary. I've only bought pre-sliced cheese once in maybe 2 decades. Right after I make the patty, I cut lots of little cheese slices. Place on the burgers after the last flip. Rarely have any drips onto the grill.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Great Idea with nice presentation. Will try that next burger grill, although some in my family enjoy my Yosemite Sam impression while the cheese drip through the grate. :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    What are those curly-Qs? Thin slices of salami? Never seen that before.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    its one of those italian meat and cheese logs you see in a gourmet cheese section for slicing on crackers, i think its sopressata and mozz but not sure on that one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Tom:

Perhaps a different approach!

umangib.jpg

Qt mason jar lid & and a small prescription bottle works great! ;)

HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    Options
    I did burgers last night as well and in the same predicament as you went with option a. I added the cheese on the grill closed the dome for about 3 minutes let the pepper jack cook in real good and pulled the burgers. Let the egg burn with nothing on it about 5 minutes at around 500 degrees and there is no cheese mess left stuck to my grill.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Tom,

I cheese during the patty making process. :)

21efd466.jpg

And sometimes add some extras.

7f21fff5.jpg
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    I just let it get all over the grill, but if I was going for presentation points, I would take a biscuit cutter to the cheese slices...