Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

E Carolina Sauce

ewillie
ewillie Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made up some sauce for the upcoming weekend, 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, tbs brown sugar, tbs red pepper flakes, tbs hot sauce, tsp salt, tsp pepper.

My first try, put it in bottles in the fridge to let the ingredients get to know each other until the weekend.

Hope I'm on the right track, any advice?

Cheers, Erik

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is a popular one:

Sauce, BBQ, South Carolina

This is from Mike Mills book "Peace Love and BBQ" , It is my favorite sauce for all meats.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup light corn syrup(Karo)
    1 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    3 Tbs ketchup
    2 Tbs Sugar
    1 Tbs Unsulfured molasses
    1 1/2 tsp pectin(Sure-Jell)
    2 tsp yellow mustard
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1 1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp paprika

PROCEDURE:
    1 Blend together in saucepan over medium heat. Slowly bring to a boil. Cool and transfer to container. Keep in fridge.

Recipe Type
    BBQ Sauce/Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: BBQ-Brethren, O-Town, 2011/06/26
  • ewillie
    Thanks for sharing, I saw him on the Food Network last night, certainly seemed to know his BBQ.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Hi Richard.

He said Eastern Carolina. Heck that's even too sweet to be Western Carolina.

EWille you are definitely right on track with what you have in your jars chillin'. You gonna crisp up some craklin' too?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    What you eggspect from a Floridian? Lets try again.

Sauce, BBQ, Eastern North Carolina

Here's my recipe for a Vinegar based sauce for Pulled Pork when I'm not using Scott's BBQ Sauce.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 Tbs Sea Salt
    1 Tbs Turbinado Sugar
    1/2 tsp Ground Chipotle - McCormicks
    4 Dried Cayenne peppers, split & stemmed

Procedure:
    1 Mix all ingredients together. Let stand as long as possible, at least ½ a day, but the longer the better. It's best used in plastic "Ketchup Style" squirt bottle you can pickup at the grocery store for about a buck.

Recipe Type
    BBQ Sauce/Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, GrillMeister, 2005/04/14
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    ewillie, here's mine; very similar to yours. I have never refrigerated though.

1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 ½ tbls cayenne pepper (can use less… or none)
    Salt and pepper to taste

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ewillie
    Thanks for the input, the sauce was really good. Had zip from the vinegar and a little heat. Really tasty.
    Did a pork butt, a brisket, baby back ribs, and some sausage last night with the neighbors, and no leftovers.
    Hope everyone had a good 4th! Cheers, Erik